QuickenHow do I change account type from brokerage to retirement without losing posted activity?

FredArthur
FredArthur Member ✭✭✭

I erroneously setup account type.

How do I change account type from brokerage to RETIREMENT without losing posted activity?

[changed title from investment to retirement]

Quicken Windows Subscription: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 21H2.
(I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version.)

Comments

• FredArthur
    FredArthur Member ✭✭✭

Meant to say on the how do I change the 'account type' show on the 'edit account details' pop-up from 'Brokerage' to IRA, etc.. The drop-down list is disabled for an account of type Brokerage.
    This mainly affects the way securities are grouped on the mobile and web app.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

At the moment, this question is categorized to a Quicken for Mac category, but your message signature says that you are a Quicken for Windows user.

If you really are using Quicken for Windows …
    sorry, but an Account Type cannot be changed after the account register has been created.
    The only thing you can change is the Tax deferred status of the account to Yes.

If that doesn't work, you can create a new investment account with the correct Account Type.
    Stop here. Create a backup of your Quicken data file. If the next steps don't work, you can restore the backup file and fall back to what you have right now.
    After backup, in the current account, select the Action gear icon and click on Move Transactions.
    Select to move all transactions from the current account to the new one.
    If that worked OK, proceed from here with the new account. The old one should now be empty and can be deleted.

• FredArthur
    FredArthur Member ✭✭✭

Thank you for your response. Yes, I am running on a windows platform. I pretty much copied the question out of the previous post.
    The reason this has become an issue is because I just tried out the web and app versions and they subtotal investment accounts by BROKERAGE and RETIREMENT. It appears the web based apps do not give you the choice on how to group your securities as do the desktop version.

This discussion has been closed.