Tax Tables (Q Win Canada)

YingDave
YingDave Member ✭✭✭✭

Hi there I have an now older version of the Canadian version of Q for Win. I am no longer a resident of Canda for tax purposes so I don't lodge in Canada. The old version used to have 3 text files in the program folders; TAX.SCD, TAX.PRI, TAX.THP which match category with tax schedule, long description etc…I had substituted these file with my local country schedules and it all works fine. Or at least they used to in older versions up to R33.7

I am trying to get a view on how this function was changed after v33.7, as I don't want to risk upgrade the version with some useful updates I am sure - but totally screwing up my tax reporting. I have read various posts that inform it was changed. Please if someone knows how this back end works please update the information here.

Thanks

Comments

• YingDave
    YingDave Member ✭✭✭✭

mmm.. disappointing. No one can tell me how the Tax schedule tables link to categories and where these table are - work in current version?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure, but I think you are out of luck. From what I can tell Quicken Inc has finally merged the Canadian branch back into the US branch. And one of the consequences of that is they can’t have a set of files that are shared, but different like the old tax files.

The reason I believe that the two branches are now merged?

I did a beta where my Quicken Id was set to allow for the Canadian product, so it has both a Canadian (expired subscription) and a US subscription. Here is what happens when I create a new data file:

So, just like there isn't really a different program for the different editions like Starter, Deluxe, … There doesn't seem to be a different build/program for US/Canadian.

As I test, I deleted the tax files out of the Quicken program files folder and started Quicken and looked at the category tax information and looked a the tax reports, and there isn't any difference.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • YingDave
    YingDave Member ✭✭✭✭

Thanks Chris - so does that mean the table is hard coded somewhere internally and cannot be edited - even in the US program from several versions ago?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
  • YingDave
    YingDave Member ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the information Chris - was 33.7 the last version before this was changed - anyone?

For the Quicken team - Frankly this is pretty poor that structural changes of this natures that are important are not even hinted in the release notes let alone being made explicitly clear on which version these were changed!

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

Sorry I don't remember which was the last version that used the external files.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.