seeing major bugs with paychecks

Options
nicci
nicci Member ✭✭
Go to an old paycheck from 2016, total deposit is say $1000. Click the green checkbox to bring up the details, totally different paycheck with amounts from current year. No way to update the splits. All old transfers from paychecks to other accounts are busted and say the account no longer exists.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options

Which version of Quicken are you running? (Help > About Quicken)

If you are not running R49.33 you might want to consider updating to it because one of the things it does address is some paychecks being improperly altered. You can view the Release Notes and download the Windows Manual Patch Update (used to be called the Mondo Patch) from https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product .

If you are already running R49.33: Do you have backup files you can restore that might not have this issue present?

BTW: When a transfer says an account no longer exists it usually means that account has been deleted from Quicken. If that is the case, the transfer cannot be fixed because deleted accounts cannot be restored….except from a restored backup file that was created before the account deletion occurred.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• nicci
    nicci Member ✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Apparently not because I'm already on R49.33. I have tons of backups but how far back would I need to go? I feel like that is what may have created my issue. I did a restore on Friday for another reason and now I have this issue, had to reset most of my accounts and two won't reconnect. :( I did a validate and the repair uncategorized a 200+ entries from paychecks. I feeling every time I try to fix something that I'm making a bigger mess. Wish I could travel back to Thursday...
  • TangledWeb
    TangledWeb Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have gone back to R48.15 (released in March), the last version before R49.xx (released in April) for which there is a Mondo patch available.
    I suspect paycheck issues were introduced with R49.22 where the items updated include "Quicken now supports Roth 401 (k) after-tax deductions in paychecks. This update also lets users track their Roth 401(k) contributions in the Tax Center."
  • Boatnmaniac
    Options

You should not need to go back further with your backup files than to the one made just before the problem started appearing.

Sometimes a version update will not install properly which can cause some odd and unpredictable behavior. Just my opinion but it seems to me that this happens most frequently when updating the version from within Quicken instead of downloading the patch from https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product .

If the issues you are seeing was caused by a bad version update process, then you might want to consider uninstalling Quicken and then download a fresh copy of Quicken and install that. You can download and install the fresh copy of Quicken from your Quicken.com online account or from https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-download-quicken-quickencom-after-i-buy-it .

• nicci
    nicci Member ✭✭
    Options
    thanks all, I was trying to use the new Roth feature - how do I get to mondo patch for R48.15? I only see latest in the link
  • Boatnmaniac
    Options

You can download previous Mondo Patches (now called Manual Patch Updates) at https://www.quicken.com/support/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has . Click on the Mar 2023 link to see the download link for R48.15.

BTW, if your Roth 401(k) is held in the same account as a non-Roth 401(k), then the new Roth feature has some significant issues and it is not ready for prime time. So R49.XX would disappoint you regarding this.

If, however, your Roth 401(k) is held in a standalone Roth IRA (yes, Roth IRA) account with no non-Roth 401(k), then it does seem to work quite well (with 1-2 simple workarounds required).

If you want to read more: Re: New Roth 401K feature not working correctly.

• TangledWeb
    TangledWeb Member ✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options
    If it helps, here is my routine for installing a 'downrev' version of Quicken (btw I never let Quicken autoupdate):

1) Backup the .qdf file that will become your main data file with the fresh installation
    2) Uninstall Quicken
    2) Run QCleanUI.exe to remove remnants
    3) Turn off wireless
    4) Reboot
    5) Run the original Quicken 2019 installation program...do NOT launch Quicken at the end of this step
    6) Run the Mondo patch installation to bring Quicken up to R48.15...do NOT launch Quicken at the end of this step
    7) Turn on wireless
    8) Reboot
    9) Doubleclick on the .qdf file that is your main data file...this will start Quicken R48.15

Good luck!
  • nicci
    nicci Member ✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Unistalled, reinstalled with 48.15 and went all the back to a March 12 file and most problems are still there. Transfers into HSA via paycheck from checking say the account no longer exists - that account has not been deleted. It's my main checking account for the last 20 years. Open old paychecks and see new paycheck info rather than it's actual splits. It all seems to be around paychecks. It did allow to Discover Bank (reported on other thread). So, going to back to one I'd partially fixed today rather than lose two months of data with most issues the same. Have to reset BofA, Capital One, Chase, Discover Card manually - restoring backup or just copying over a file both hose connections. This is so bad. Sigh.
  • TangledWeb
    TangledWeb Member ✭✭
    Options
    I am sorry to hear that. Yes, it is a sorry state of affairs that Quicken's 'improvements' inevitably result in a breaking of something that used to work just fine. This is the reason I never install an update until a) it has been released for some time and b) when I see on this forum that there are no major issues any longer or that they have been fixed.
  • nicci
    nicci Member ✭✭
    Options
    I will definitely be taking a page from that book, thanks TangledWeb.
  • DavidCT
    DavidCT Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

I have to change the paycheck every time I open Quicken. It keeps switching it to monthly rather than twice a month. I deleted the paycheck and re-entered, but it still does the same thing. My next step is to just set up two paychecks, each monthly. [Removed - Off Topic/3rd-Party Software]

• Boatnmaniac
    edited June 2023
    Options

(Deleted comment since it was redundant.)

This discussion has been closed.