How do I get the running balance to show up?

Options
blairvine
blairvine Member

"Balance" is not an option from View/columns.

Best Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

What kind of account? Are you in a single account register? Try sorting the register by date with the newest date at the bottom. Click the Date column heading. Or maybe the balance column is scrolled off out of view? And for Mac click on "Reset Filters" at the top of the register-some filters prevent the balance from showing.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

You are probably viewing a group account register, which if collapsed, will appear to be a single account. Click the three dot icon (…) at the top of the sidebar then Expand All Sidebar Groups. This will reveal any actual account registers hidden within collapsed groups. After selecting the individual account, you should be able to see (or add) the Balance column.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • RickO
    Answer ✓
    Options

It's like the Good Witch said to Dorothy… "It was there the whole time". (You just were looking at an account group instead of the single account register.)

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

What kind of account? Are you in a single account register? Try sorting the register by date with the newest date at the bottom. Click the Date column heading. Or maybe the balance column is scrolled off out of view? And for Mac click on "Reset Filters" at the top of the register-some filters prevent the balance from showing.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• blairvine
    blairvine Member
    Options

Q. Version 7.1.1 (Build 701.49349.100)

Mac OS 13.4. Chrome (which shouldn't make a difference?).

It's a simple single-user Banking account. Like my checkbook.

Sorting by date doesn't help. Full screen shows lots of space. Removing the memo field doesn't help. Balance is not showing as an option in View (Banking). Seems like something most people would value.

• RickO
    Answer ✓
    Options

You are probably viewing a group account register, which if collapsed, will appear to be a single account. Click the three dot icon (…) at the top of the sidebar then Expand All Sidebar Groups. This will reveal any actual account registers hidden within collapsed groups. After selecting the individual account, you should be able to see (or add) the Balance column.

• blairvine
    blairvine Member
    Options

No (…) at the top of the sidebar. Only the Collapse Sidebar icon, which collapses the column. It shows the cash and savings accounts. but no others.

• RickO
    edited June 2023
    Options

This is what you need to click:

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

No (…) at the top of the sidebar. Only the Collapse Sidebar icon, which collapses the column.

Doesn't the top of your sidebar look like this when you have the sidebar expanded?

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • blairvine
    blairvine Member
    Options

Nope.

• jacobs
    Options

Hmmm, that screenshot is odd. Aside from the missing ••• icon, it shows the Update All and Add Account icons very near the top; they are always below the red/yellow/green window control buttons in any version and operating system I've run Quicken Mac on, as shown below. I'm not sure what setting you have which is pushing those icons so high.

But ignoring that for a moment… it is possible for the sidebar to be narrowed such that the ••• icon is not visible:

To reveal the ••• icon, grab the right border of the sidebar and drag it to the right a little to make the sidebar wider, and the icon will appear:

• blairvine
    blairvine Member
    Options

Well Duh!! Sorry to miss that.

I expanded the side bar, updated all accounts, expanded and collapsed sidebar groups a couple times, and checked the sidebar settings. No change. The Balance is not showing.

Given that Balance not an option under View/Columns (Banking), I must have something else set wrong.

Tomorrow, when they are open, I'll chat with the Q. folks, and they can screen share and figure it out. I'll let you know.

Thanks for the help-attempts, though, to all of you.

• jacobs
    Options

After you expanded the sidebar, did you click the ••• icon and select Expand All Sidebar Groups from the menu? And after doing that, in the left sidebar, you see All Transactions and under that Banking; under Banking you should see the sub-group Cash, and under Cash you should see the name of your checking account. Have you clicked on that checking account (not Cash) to display the account register? And then clicking on the Columns icon, are you saying you do not have Balance available to check? These are the options you should see for a checking account when you click the Columns icon:

If your Columns pop-up doesn't have these choices, could you post a screenshot of what you're seeing?

• blairvine
    blairvine Member
    Options

Thanks so much for this. Following your directions worked, without even going to the View/Columns menu. Balance suddenly showed up on the register.

Looking back to top menu bar, View/Columns now shows (account name) instead of (Banking), and the Balance checkbox is available and checked under that.

I'm good! Thanks again!!!

• RickO
    Answer ✓
    Options

It's like the Good Witch said to Dorothy… "It was there the whole time". (You just were looking at an account group instead of the single account register.)

This discussion has been closed.