Why is Quicken retaining more than maximum number backup files?

Options
Toolworker
Toolworker Member ✭✭

My Quicken is configured to retain two backup copies. But the backup folder has 31 QDF backup files going back more than 6 months.

Is there a way to get it to resume deleting automatically?

Running Quicken Deluxe R50.16 on Windows 10.

Comments

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There are 2 kinds of Backups in Quicken, Manual and Automatic. For Manual Backups you can tell it where to put the backup file and if you want to add the current date to the end of the name or to overwrite any existing backup file. If you add the date to the end of the name over time you will end up with a lot of files.

In addition to any manual backups you make, Quicken makes an automatic backup after so many times (which you can set). Quicken makes all automatic backups to a folder named "BACKUP" in the same folder where your Quicken data resides. So if you have data files in separate folders then each folder will have a separate Backup subfolder.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Toolworker
    Toolworker Member ✭✭
    Options

As I said, "My Quicken is configured to retain two backup copies" (which I have set). These are automatic backups.

I tried deleting all but the two latest QDF-backups. I had Quicken open (to check the settings).

On exiting Quicken, it generated a new automatic backup and deleted the oldest. So there are still two and the program behaved as configured.

If the problem recurs, I'll report back.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The two backup copies must have the same name.

Backups with the date/time stamp don't have the same name, so Q can't manage them as "2 backups"

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• nathan.hunstad
    nathan.hunstad Member ✭✭
    Options

I have the same problem with the automatic backups. It appears that the only place to specify if you want the date/time appended to the backup filename is in the manual backup popup screen. I do want the date/time on my manual backups because I handle them differently. It's problematic that the automatic backups can't manage themselves in terms of the maximum number to keep around when you add the date/time to the filename. The settings should be separate between manual and automatic backups.

This discussion has been closed.