Tax Lots Report for 1 Security in Multiple Accounts

Options
MangoMan
MangoMan Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in Reports

Quicken needs to provide a report capability for people with multiple investment accounts which hold the same security that will show the tax lots for each purchase. For example, lets say I buy Apple (APPL) in 5 different investment accounts over time. The price of APPL goes up and I want to quickly see where I am holding my lowest basis cost investment of APPL to decide if that's the one to sell first. There is no easy way to do this and current reports don't allow adding a column to support this.

1 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

why doesn't the capital gains estimator work?

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Go to Investing > Portfolio. Next to Show choose one of the Custom views that you do not use. Next to Group by: pick Accounts.

Click on Options at the top right and make sure Show closed lots is not selected.

Click on the Customize button. Pick the columns you want to see, including Gain/Loss (%), and click on Add or Remove.

On the Accounts tab, pick Select all. On the Securities tab, pick just the Security you want to see. Click OPK

At the bottom left, click on Expand All.

To print, go to File > Print Portfolio or hit Ctrl-P

QWin Premier subscription
  • MangoMan
    MangoMan Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks Jim - Works great. Any suggestions for how to record ADR fees charged annually so they are reflected in the cost basis of the stock? For example BABA or JD.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@MangoMan I’ve found no evidence that ADR fees can be applied as a cost basis adjustment. Can you elaborate?

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If a fee should reduce the IRR of a security as shown in the Investment Performance Report or the Avg Annual Return (%) columns in the Portfolio views, you can enter it as a MiscExp and specify the security.

This will be reflected in the performance of the security but not in the Cost Basis or capital gains.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

easier way… go to the category list, edit the specific category (ADR fees), and then check 'affects investment performace' at the bottom of that screen. The fees will not impact the IRR (and they will not be displayed in the detailed investment performance report)