Quicken Freezes

Options
2»

Comments

• TrekeyDoc
    TrekeyDoc Member ✭✭
    Options

I have tried all the above and Quicken still freezing. This is getting real old, fast.

• whodiini
    whodiini Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

Did you try reverting to R50.13? I found a way to test new releases easily. Since I run parallels desktop (windows virtual machine on a mac), I simply take a snapshot of my system, install the latest quicken version and run it. If it crashes, hangs I revert the snapshot to the last stable version of quicken. Of course, I use a supervalidated version of my file just to be sure before I do this. So far, R50.13 is the last version of quicken that doesnt crash when opening quicken with my file; (my cloud sync is off.) All versions after R50.13 crashes immediately after opening my file. R50.13 has been solid and before that R49.33. R50.5 was the start of the crashes that R50.13 finally fixed. I dont use cloud sync, so perhaps R49.33 may be the last stable version with cloud sync?

• Vickie
    Vickie Member ✭✭✭
    Options

is there another post or official instructions for how to get to a certain version? All the installations I’ve done this week automatically install the latest version and I don’t see a way to stop it. I know I can download the mondo patch versions but how do I apply them?

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

There is a simple thing you can try if Quicken freezes (especially during an OSU):

Do a "Ctrl-Alt-Del" to go into "Task Manager" but don't end Quicken. Instead, just click on "Quicken" and wait for a bit.

Sometimes by doing this it "wakes up" Quicken to get going again.

Quicken has frozen up on me during a One Step Update (OSU) more than once, and this fixed it every time.

• whodiini
    Options

So far, the only version that works for me still is R50.13 Each update I dutifully download and run it. And each update crashes repeatably when opening a file. Just tested R51.10, crossed by fingers and once again, quicken crashed upon opening a file, so reverted back to 50.13, which works just fine. Keeping track of solid (for me) versions: R49.33, R50.13. In between versions - crashed.

• Alex107
    Alex107 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I had similar issue for awhile, since mid June (R50.14). But when I stopped sync to the cloud (disabled mobile & web) it stopped crashing on opening the file. BTW its not completely stopping sync to Quicken cloud, it disabled use it on web. Also, its interesting, while I had sync option, it give the option to see what my files reside on Quicken cloud and noticed 3 files were there. So, the default file was from 2017. So, I deleted files, except one I use. So, far for a week its stable, after a month of Quicken freezing on updates, crashing, uncounted re-installing.

• whodiini
    Options

what an interesting suggestion! So I went to my stable R50.13 enabled sync, removed all accounts from the cloud, disabled sync, and checked to see if it was still stable (yes). Then updated to R51.10 and opened the file while holding my breath, It did not crash upon opening, but then got the spinning circle and waited and waited and waited… No response. Usually that means that it tried to connect to the server to request entering your password. So while the error is different, it still is unusable for me except R50.13 Thanks for the suggestion!

• whodiini
    Options

I next tried another modification - I enabled sync, deleted cloud files (found an extra one), synced again with zero accounts chosen, looked at the cloud file and the date changed to today (previously it was July 7 so removing accounts earlier did not change the cloud file), logged out of quicken and logged back in, then disabled sync. did an OSU to insure everything worked. One institution the accounts were no longer recognized. So I deactivated online access to those accounts. Then ran R51.10 update. Quicken immediately crashed after opening file. Oh well, back to R50.13. When I restored and launched R50.13, it shows that I have zero accounts chosen in the cloud sync, so that means that the cloud was reset. But the accounts I previously deactivated account access worked.

• Alex107
    Alex107 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

My guess, Quicken get tight up security. I use to ran Quicken on 3 systems parallel. One primary (PC), backup (laptop-1) and DR (laptop-2). I worked all my life in Datacenters, so I used customer's applications model for production systems. Anyway, once a week I restore backed up file from my primary PC to laptops. I did not do it for a month while Quicken was crashing, but tried to do yesturday… and that's spells troubles. As soon as I restored file on backup laptop, it synced to cloud and guess what - it tired up everything to that laptop. I got back to my primary system and update was not working correctly and the line "updating your data" was missing… so, I had to restore file on primary PC and then logout/login to Quicken (btw - that is very helpful procedure - "sign in as different user" under Edit-Preferences-Quicken ID and Cloud Accounts - sign-out/sign in would replace Quicken cloud file). I had to re-authorize accounts in Quicken for updates to download transactions. Now I'm running Quicken just on one system to avoid this security issue. So, Quicken tired up my PC's network's MAC address to the cloud file…

• Alex107
    Alex107 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

whodiini - after 1st action and you had 51.10  gets open it would be critical to sign out/sign in preferences - that's the only option to replace cloud working file. Its sticky and after upgrade it saw mismatch between your local and cloud file, so it hangs on update and to stop it usually corrupting local file. You doing right trying to get your file up-to-date, so keep trying. To fall behind on updates is not that good idea. Also, I had this when after sync it mess up some accounts (removes all transactions). The whole idea to get your local file matched with cloud file correctly, then it will work. Also, not sure which institution you use for update, would be good idea to minimize to min accounts where transactions are current…

• TrekeyDoc
    TrekeyDoc Member ✭✭
    Options

After over an hour and half on the telephone with Quicken and another 2- 3 hours following the suggestions above Quicken is still freezing. Guess they have another couple of months to fix this before my renewal comes due. This is not fun.

• RIW
    RIW Member ✭✭
    Options

Just adding my comment to those who have already commented.

Running Windows 11. All updates are installed.

Running current version of Quicken Deluxe.

Quicken freezes during One step update. When I click on the X to close the update window, the screen behind the open window turns black, Quicken crashes, and error message is created and sent to Microsoft.

• RIW
    RIW Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Lad for your comment; at least now I'm confident the current issue is not caused by my data file, but is a Quicken and/or Microsoft issue.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

Saw first ever freeze on OSU this morning. Let it run, and run, and run. Posted about it in another thread. I thought I might be able get out of the freeze by clicking "File" "Exit". The second I clicked on "File" the OSU completion screen was there and the transactions were correct.

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• whodiini
    Options

Alex107 - Thanks. I did on the second try, exactly as you suggested and verified that the cloud file updated by looking at its date. Didnt help

• whodiini
    edited August 2023
    Options

R51.12 update - did the usual. did the R51.12 update. First attempt - quicken file opened, then froze. At least that is an improvement - before it immediately crashed. Restored back to R50.13. Second attempt: Validate, log off and back on quicken server, sync set to off, installed R51.12 update. Opened file, (didnt crash) logged off server and logged back in. This time quicken didnt freeze. Did OSU. Very slow. Finally finished. Accounts at one institution disabled. Deactivated online updates on those accounts. Closed file. Reopened file - opened without crashing. Did OSU. This time much faster. Checked account list to verify OSU worked - it did.

Seems like (for me), R51.12 works and prior one was R50.13. (I keep track of stable versions in case I need to revert). Took Quicken 2 months to fix. That is why it is important to test each update version before implementing, [Removed - Speculation] .

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@whodiini - try R49.29. That version seems to work for those users that are experiencing freezes and crashing.

• whodiini
    Options

Yes that is on my list as well. 49.29 was the version before 50.13 that was stable

This discussion has been closed.