Quicken Freezes

Options
joshruth156
joshruth156 Member

I have been having trouble with quicken freezing since 5/24/23. This initially would occur during One Step Update. Currently, accounts with Fidelity will update then the program will freeze. Have tried to reset and deactivate online accounts, which results in the program freezing. I have tried validating the file, super-validating the file, uninstalling/reinstalling quicken. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @joshruth156,

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community.

We do currently have a couple of active alerts which could be contributing to the issues that you are experiencing. You may follow the links here and here to access those alerts where you can bookmark them in order to remain up to date with any new information, ETAs, or resolutions. If you do not see the option to bookmark, please make sure that you are signed into the Quicken Community.

I do apologize for any inconvenience caused in the meantime.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• whodiini
    whodiini Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

It has not been resolved . I did not have any freezing issues until the latest update of Quicken, that stated that the crashing issues (which I did have) were fixed, Now it freezes on OSU.

• Williejeff
    Williejeff Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Starting 6/1, Quicken is freezing for me when trying to do One Step Update (OSU). I tried to add a new brokerage account for Schwab, and then the problem started. As with others, I have read through the many different discussions on this subject and see others are having the same issue. When Quicken works, it is fantastic. I have been using it since 1994. Regarding this new freeze problem, I have tried a variety of fixes recommended in this and other discussions, including 'validate,' 'super validate,' limiting updates to only one account, not including investments, and more. I see others have tried the same. I tried waiting extended periods of up to 45 minutes to see if it worked itself through. Nothing has worked. Every time I start OSU it freezes. I even called for support... and while the Quicken staff (working in Latin America) was really nice, she said that the problem was my laptop and recommended I contact Microsoft for professional help. I tried turning off my anti-virus support, my firewall, and VPN.... nothing seems to work. Meanwhile, I see that Quicken staff set up an alert notice that they are working on it as of yesterday (6/5)...noting that they are aware of the problem, but have no solutions. When Quicken works, it is great! When it doesn't, is so frustrating. Interesting, my membership renewed 6/1... don't know if that is part of my problem? Arrrrr
  • Kiryl
    Kiryl Member ✭✭
    Options
    Please check out this thread. Looks like it got broken for multiple people around the same time - end of May
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7935642/quicken-hangs-greyed-out-on-one-step-update-for-any-express-web-connect-account
  • whodiini
    Options

more freezing issues - it continues to freeze upon launch. Force close, then restore from backup, validate (no issue), login to quicken and it works once until next launch. Suspect it is due to some corruption of web sync, so logged out of quicken, then logged back in,. It’s says success, then DB write error. I am no longer able to log back into quicken using that file. Due to DB write error.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

1) Are you Syncing to Mobile/Web?
    AND
    2) do you actually use the Mobile app on your smartphone or the Quicken on the Web browser-based app?

The Sync process has been suspected of a number of weird happenings with Quicken.
    Could your problem be caused by Sync?

If you answer "yes" to the 1st question and "no" to the 2nd question, turn Sync off completely. You don't need it. The Sync process should only be used in conjunction with the Quicken app for Smartphones or the Quicken on the Web browser app. It cannot be used as a replacement for backing up and restoring your Quicken data file.

If you answer "yes" to both questions, try to Reset Sync so that the current cloud sync file is replaced with a fresh complete copy
    Do note that a full Sync process may take many minutes to complete.

How to reset Sync to Cloud

• Log out of your mobile app, then do this on your desktop / laptop:
    • Go to Edit / Preferences /Mobile and Web
    • Click the "Reset your cloud data" link and follow the instructions until it is complete.
    • Sync your desktop file to the cloud
    • Now log back into your mobile app

How to turn off Sync to Cloud for the current data file

• Go to Edit / Preferences / Mobile and Web
    • Change the Sync radio button and set it to OFF

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Does MS OneDrive or Dropbox or any other cloud backup software access your current Quicken data file while Quicken is active? This has been reported to cause problems.
    If so, reconfigure OneDrive to NOT access your data file or move your Quicken data file to a folder which is outside the range of OneDrive - controlled folders. Also configure Quicken Backup Preferences to create a backup every [1] time you close Quicken and direct the backup file to a OneDrive - controlled folder.

• whodiini
    Options

I do not use sync (turned off), but every time a backup is restored, it first asks for the quicken web password, then syncs with the cloud. I do not use one drive or Dropbox. The issue I reported here earlier about the DB write error is now gone. I think it was a quicken server issue and I am now able to log in after logging out. But the freezing issue is still there after every launch. I suspect the last update was a mess and quicken hasn’t yet fixed the problem. The other problem is that there files that quicken uses that are not saved with backups and are not fixed with validate. So when they get corrupted, they have to be manually deleted. Because of that, just because I restore every time quicken crashes is not good enough. The next step will be to manually delete every quicken file installed, then reinstall, do a mondo update to the last working version before the current version, restore my quicken file, and validate it. It’s a lot of work to fix a quicken QC issue,

• whodiini
    Options

An example of an important file that is not fixed with validate is runtime.dat. If OSU is not reporting correctly, deleting the file will fix it.

• whodiini
    Options

the release 50.13 today fixed the constant crashes. since 50.5. Since 50.5, quicken ALWAYS either crashed or froze upon opening a file. Even if the file was validated previously. 50.13 also fixed the problem of not being able to retain login info to the quicken server, even if sync was off. IMHO, 50.5 should have never been released without proper QC. If I was smarter, I would not have installed 50.5 and should have waited until 50.13. It’s releases like 50.5 that gives quicken a bad rep with customers. I keep telling Quicken they should do what other software developers do: get early adopters to sign up for a beta test channel to test their latest releases and release only well tested versions to the users. Instead Quicken releases their beta versions to everyone.

• TrekeyDoc
    TrekeyDoc Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks, However, Quicken still freezes after update and with one step update. Can update individually. Freezing also with stock calculations. Almost 1.5 hours on the phone with them and no improvement.

• whodiini
    Options

try deleting runtime.dat. It will regenerate after being deleted. You may have to reset accounts though. Also verify you have 50.13 installed.

• whodiini
    Options

i assume you have done the usual: validate, supervalidate, restore from last known working backup,etc as well.

• TrekeyDoc
    TrekeyDoc Member ✭✭
    Options

Tried all the above. Just installed 50.14! Supposed to stop freezing. NOT

• whodiini
    Options

have you tried to log out (preferences, quicken web) and back in? When I installed 50.14, it started crashing again, So I restored from a backup, logged out and back in, and that seemed to stop the crashing,

• whodiini
    Options

So today I updated to 50.14. All the prior freezes returned! So if you have freezes, I would recommend you go back to 50.13. All my freezes stopped with 50.13 and returned with 50.14.

50.13 worked great since I installed it. I am going back to 50.13, which doing so is a pain.

• whodiini
    Options

went back to 50.13 by using Qclean, installed original CD version, did mondo update to 50.13 and did a restore from backup. Had to deactivate and reactivate one account. All is well again. I note that my June 23 post said 50.14 when I meant to say 50.13

• whodiini
    Options

50.16 doesnt fix the crashing. So whatever they did after 50.13 still causes freezes. Staying on 50.13

• Alex107
    Alex107 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Its very frustrating. Similar issue. Done a number re-installs. It seems to be issue with syncing to the cloud. Still staying with 50.16, but when its crashing on the start, using manual mondo update to 50.16. It does reset to R1 first and clears much better then just re-install. But doing this every other day is annoying. When updated and synced to cloud file, its working solid. I even tried to replace cloud file, then resync takes a long time to upload local file to cloud…. worked for a week, but this Sunday started crashing again. I'm sure they know about this issue, but I wonder that I do not see other posts, beside yours. Is this effects not everyone?

• Vickie
    Vickie Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I'm not sure I'm experiencing the same thing as you are. When I open Quicken and it tries to open my data file (automatically), the program hangs. The title bar and menu bar disappear. I have no options other than to force Windows to close the program. No errors, just never ending circle cursor.

If I rename my data file and open Quicken it works as expected. I can create a new blank file and open/close it with no issues.

If I again try to open my own data file, it hangs every time. I have validated the file (no issues found) and also Super Validated it. It still will not open. I also tried several backups and they don't work either. It restores the backup successfully but when opening, it hangs.

I contacted support and they had me uninstall and reinstall (I had already done that twice as well as try another PC with the same results). The end of the call was 'your computer is slow and your file is damaged - nothing else we can do'. So I'm left to keep trying older and older backups until I might find one that works.

My last backup is from 6/22 so that's the last time I used Quicken.

Is this what you are experiencing and should I try to get to a different version?

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Vickie is the size of your file growing and growing while Quicken is hanging? If so, try setting your computer back to a date earlier than when the issue started, then check if the file will open.

If the file size is growing and growing while Quicken hangs and setting the computer date back to an earlier date enables you to open the file, you have a condition called runaway reminder. A runaway reminder will spawn hundreds or sometimes thousands of transactions. You'll want to identify and delete the bad reminder and delete all the transactions that were spawned. Then you can set the computer date back to the current date.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• TrekeyDoc
    TrekeyDoc Member ✭✭
    Options

Just noticed that if I try to add a stock dividend it will Quicken will freeze if I use any date other than today's date!

• Vickie
    Vickie Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@mshiggins I'm not sure what you mean by file size growing. Do you mean if I look at the file in File Explorer, the filesize will change as Quicken is trying to open the file? If so, no, I don't think that is happening.

However, I will try the trick of setting the computer date back to when my file last worked successfully. I've also considered disconnecting from the network so there is no internet access to avoid any issues with syncing data.

• Bernie M
    Bernie M Member ✭✭
    Options

When I found this thread a little while ago I followed the advice to sign out of Quicken mobile and then to Reset Cloud. Quicken started to resync the cloud data. Got through updating accounts, tags and some other stuff. Now it is downloading Transactions and has frozen again.

• Alex107
    Alex107 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I have a similar issue as Vickie today and that's new. My guess, Sunday 7/16 Quicken developers tried to work on the issue. Its definitely problem with connecting to cloud file. I'm using the Quicken daily and last week (whole 7 days) worked fine, till Sunday. When try to close Quicken, its was closing faster then usual and with not trying to sync (no message). Monday it changed, it get resync to cloud message and started fine. Its not for long. Today, as Vickie said, it get freeze before asking Vault Password, just hanged…. the only way to get it to start - ran QW27.1.50.16MPatch, its resetting Quicken file to the ground version (R1), then installs version R50.16 and then it works fine (for one day). Manual syncing are going easy, all reports are working and validation rans without issues.

• Bernie M
    Bernie M Member ✭✭
    Options

Whoa! A new, related problem just occurred. After Resetting Cloud Data and having that process hang (as mentioned above), I've restarted Quicken and had it only update Financial Institutions. One Step Update reports that it completed all four institutions - and now it is hung with that One Step Update Progress window still open and the header saying Not Responding.

• Vickie
    Vickie Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

I got a little further with setting my computer's date back to when Quicken last worked. My file actually opened but now is hung again…

I closed Quicken (forced closed by Windows) and opened the file again and it works!!

Checking my reminders before setting my date forward again.

• Vickie
    Vickie Member ✭✭✭
    Options

My success is short-lived….

If I have my system date set the same as the last time I used the file, then I can open it. I turned off online syncing and OSU.

I'm not able to get to the Bill & Income Reminders section to see what is there. I get the dump file error that is in another thread.

If I set my system date forward at all, then the file will not open.

So, I'm suspecting the runaway reminder that was mentioned above but am unable to get to the reminders…

• Vickie
    Vickie Member ✭✭✭
    Options

FIXED!!!

With the PC's date set back to when the file last worked (6/22). I did a number of things but I think the final fix was this:

Using the new dashboard, I was able to skip all the bill reminders that were in the past (yes, I was behind on them). After clearing them all, then the blue dot went away next to the Bills & Income item. (I posted earlier that I was not able to directly open the Bills and Income module as it threw the dump file error - but the Dashboard tile that shows upcoming bills was the saving grace).

I then closed Quicken and set the date to today and my file is usable again.

So, I think the issue was an old bill reminder (or many) from May that was causing the file to hang.

Hope this helps someone else!

• Bernie M
    Bernie M Member ✭✭
    Options

Bypass for my problem, maybe for others. I went to Preferences > Mobile & Web and turned Sync off. Quicken now runs again as expected.

I hadn't used Quicken mobile for the last few years because of some previous problem. I turned Sync on a few weeks ago and to try the mobile app again and it worked. Until this week. I'll get along with Sync off.

This discussion has been closed.