Quicken hangs/greyed out on One Step Update for any Express Web Connect account

Options
Kiryl
Kiryl Member ✭✭

Started happening on 2023-05-26 for any EWC(+) accounts. Direct Connect accounts still update properly. When trying to update all or a single account, the One Step Update Progress window becomes greyed out and Quicken hangs. Have to use the Task Manager to end the task to restart. What I tried so far:
1. Validate the file
2. Super validate the file
3. Sign out and sign back in
4. Roll back to earlier version of Quicken
5. Full reinstall and update to the latest version (R50)
6. Reset various EWC+ accounts (Chase, Ally, Discover)
6. Deactivate/reactivate various EWC+ accounts

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Kiryl,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. How long are you letting it try to update before you terminate with Task Manager? Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive or is it on a shared network drive?  Is your Quicken file synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (if it is, you will usually see the service name listed in the file location)? 

The simplest way to check your file location, if you have Quicken up and the file open, is to click on File, then look near the bottom of the list, just above where it says Exit.  It will list the file locations for the 4 Quicken files you have most recently accessed, with the one you are currently in at the #1 spot.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Kiryl
    Kiryl Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for your reply @Quicken Kristina ! My data file is located on the local D hard drive with no cloud sync. I tried moving it to C:\Users\{MyUser}\Documents location with the same result. Also tried turning my antivirus software off (TrendMicro) and tried running quicken with elevated permissions all to no avail. I left Quicken in this state for up to 30 minutes before terminating the process. There is also a sound like when I try to click on the One Step Update Progress window, like some modal dialog preventing it from gaining focus again.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your response,

Since you mentioned you already tried validating/super validating the file and the issue was not corrected, the next step would be to restore a backup from before the issue started and test if the issue persists in the newly restored file.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• Kiryl
    Kiryl Member ✭✭
    Options
    Interesting. I followed your suggestion. Chase update did not hang after a restore. But then I was forced to switch to EWC+ with PNC and after that the connectivity got broken again. And I have multiple accounts with PNC under the same login, so maybe it has something to do with EWC+ and PNC. I'll keep experimenting and post further updates here
  • Kiryl
    Kiryl Member ✭✭
    Options
    Ok, somewhat disappointing update. I deactivated all EWC accounts yesterday and decided to start reactivating them one by one. I was able to successfully reactivate Ally Bank EWC and it wasn't hanging anymore. Today I tried to use One Step Update on it and it started hanging again. What I noticed this time that it also asked me to log in into Quicken when I started it and also added "Updating Your Data" item on the list:
  • Kiryl
    Kiryl Member ✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Also on most Direct Connect connections I started getting OL-297-A
  • Kiryl
    Kiryl Member ✭✭
    Options
    Considering the number of issues I've been experiencing with Quicken over the last year and amount of time I spent overcoming them, I'm inclined to break my 15 years streak with Quicken and give other tool a try
  • Allison
    Allison Member ✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options
    I am having the exact same issue as you. I have also tried all the same solutions, with no success. I have let the program freeze for 60 minutes or more before using task manager to abort. I am using different banks, with same issues (BOA, WF, local CU). This started on 5-26-23, and I have seen other posts alluding to similar, so I am inclined to believe this is a Quicken issue, and not on my end. @quicken I hope you can find resolution soon.
  • Kiryl
    Kiryl Member ✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Another interesting behavior. After I made one account sync successfully using EWC, I made a backup and shutdown for the night. So next morning the sync stopped working again as I mentioned. I tried restoring from yesterday's backup and now it hangs on this step during restore: "Syncing Quicken and Quicken Cloud" "Processing data..." So I think it must be something, like threads deadlocking when it tries to communicate with Quicken Cloud. I'm not even sure why it's doing it as my sync with Mobile was always off. The status of the Quicken process shows as suspended in the Task Manager
  • Allison
    Allison Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Kiryl I also was able to go through and confirm this is occurring with my EWC accounts. My direct connect accounts seem to update in a usual time frame, and then in hangs up with the EWC accounts, resulting in the freeze, and ultimate restart.
  • Kiryl
    Kiryl Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for confirming this @Allison So the issue started on the same day with exactly same symptoms for multiple users. My OS is Windows 11 Home. AV: TrendMicro As a software engineer, I tried debugging it using VS, get an access violation exception during One Step Update, which may or may not be related to the root cause. Not having the debug symbols doesn't help. Would be happy to jump on a call with tech support engineer to troubleshoot
  • Allison
    Allison Member ✭✭
    Options
    I am also using Windows 11 Home. I am not a software person, but I am happy to help in any way, as I would love to get this resolved.
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your replies @Kiryl and thank you for joining the discussion @Allison,

Due to the nature of this issue, it is recommended that you contact Quicken Support directly for further assistance as they can walk you through troubleshooting steps in real-time and escalate the situation as needed.  The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

I apologize that I could not be of more assistance!

Quicken Kristina

• Allison
    Allison Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Quicken Kristina : Thank you for this information. Unfortunately, the support hours are not very helpful for working people. I do not have the ability to call or troubleshoot this during the work day. As we are having similar issues that started on the same day, and several other posts appear to be related to similar issues, I do hope Quicken will look further into this matter.
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply @Allison,

If calling Quicken Support directly is not a viable option for you, another way to bring the issue to Quicken's attention is to Report a Problem. You can do this in your Quicken program by going to Help>Report a Problem and filling out the information as appropriate. While you do not receive a response for problem reports submitted through the program, these submissions do go directly to a database that is accessible by members of our Product and Development teams, escalation teams, and other internal support channels. These reports are reviewed daily to track multiple reports of the same trending issues and/or for troubleshooting/escalation purposes. When multiple reports of the same issue are received, those reports are also investigated further. Reports that can be replicated or verified are then submitted as tickets to the proper channels.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• Kiryl
    Kiryl Member ✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Ok, one more update. I tried running the same on a different OS (Windows 7). It also hangs, but the step and the screen is more apparent - it shows a modal dialog "Add Account", looks like it hangs before drawing the window contents, but I can see buttons "Not Now" and "Enable Sync" at the bottom. Looks like this window causes the app to hang. Sometimes it doesn't display this window and then the update succeeds
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

Use Edit>Preferences>Quicken ID & Cloud Account to sign in as a different user. Then sign back in.

• Kiryl
    Kiryl Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks @markus1957 . This was the first thing that the support person made me do (item 3 in my original post). Unfortunately that did not resolve the issue.
  • markus1957
    Options

Sorry. If Sync is truly off, you should not see that syncing screen. Try turning Mobile Sync on. Do not let it sync if asked. Then go to the Mobile tab and disable every account from sync including any hidden accounts. That way if Sync ever gets turned on, no accounts are enabled. I would then reset the cloud file again without letting it sync when asked.

When I have had that Updating your data item in OSU, it cleared when I signed out and back in. If it persists, you might try it again after the reset.

• Kiryl
    Kiryl Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks @markus1957 I tried to play with these settings. Quicken gets stuck on the reset the cloud file step - the progress window becomes greyed out as well. When I reset I specifically asked not to sync first.
  • markus1957
    Options

That's messed up. If you want to go nuclear on the cloud file, do the following. Deactivate all EWC/EWC+ accounts. Then create a new Quicken file for testing, allowing Mobile Sync. Create a manual cash account. With Sync On in the new account. In Preferences, you can view all of the cloud accounts you have created over time.

I would recommend deleting all of the cloud accounts shown except for the new file account because you can't delete the account of an open file. Unless you routinely use multiple data files, none of those other cloud files are needed.

Close the test file and open your data file. It may take you thru sign in and the cloud sync process immediately or it may not. Turn Sync On. Disable all accounts from Sync. Reset the cloud file. Cross fingers. If it works, turn Sync Off. Use Tools>Add Account to Link your existing EWC accounts to their respective online accounts.

• Kiryl
    Kiryl Member ✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Thanks so much for such a detailed instruction @markus1957 ! Unfortunately Quicken seems to be messed up beyond any reason. It stumbles on a step to create a new test file with a single cash account. Here is what I get: "Quicken encountered an error while communicating with our servers [HTTP-306]. Try again later. If the error persists, contact Quicken Support." I did delete all other cloud files though after that. Then, when I was resetting the cloud file in my regular file, got "Quicken encountered a server-side error while syncing your data [HTTP-500]. Try again later. If the error persists, contact Quicken Support." So no dice
  • markus1957
    Options

Other than trying to sign out and back in again, I'm out of ideas. You could try calling support. If you can reproduce an HTTP error creating a new file, they can't blame the problem on your data file. But, since this does not seem widespread, it points to something in your setup or user profile interfering with server communication.

• Allison
    Allison Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Kiryl I have deactivated my cloud sync, and now can get OSU to through its process without freezing, but it still does not sync all of the accounts. It seems my BOA and local CU accounts will sync, but my WF ones will not, and have not since 5/26/23. I don't use mobile/cloud much, so this is a better temporary option for me, but it does seem to confirm we are still experiencing very similar issues.
  • Kiryl
    Kiryl Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Allison thanks for the details! I've never used the mobile/web sync feature. I installed Quicken update today and the things got worse - now I can't even reactivate any of the EWC accounts - it hangs trying to open a browser session
  • Allison
    Allison Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Kiryl Thank you for the update. I saw the notification for the update today. I was hoping it would help, but hesitated to do it because I was afraid it might make things worse. I might hold off for a day or so to see how things are the next few days.
  • Kiryl
    Kiryl Member ✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options
    I can't even sign in anymore. Looks like Quicken servers are down. The worst part of it is zero communications from the company
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

If you are still having issues logging in, I would recommend checking to make sure VPN, firewall, and anti-virus are temporarily paused while you log in, since programs like that do sometimes interfere with Quicken's ability to communicate.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• Kiryl
    Kiryl Member ✭✭
    Options
    I was able to sign in after flushing my DNS cache, probably some server IP addresses have changed recently. I'm currently back to the originally reported issue. Meanwhile I tried to install and run Quicken on different PCs with different OS. They all exhibit the same issue with my file
This discussion has been closed.