Convert this fund into my cash balance

Options
Ellary Kahan
Ellary Kahan Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in Investing (Windows)

Fidelity puts cash into a MMF. Quicken puts it all in "cash" and I have to buy shares of the MMF to make Quicken agree with Fidelity. Investment help says to "choose Convert this fund into my cash balance". But it doesn't say where or how to do that.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I see the option to change under the Online Services tab of the Account.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That's interesting, @Tom Young . None of my 6 investing accounts have ever shown that option. This is R51.12.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Ellary Kahan
    Ellary Kahan Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Mine don't show that option either.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

Some, but not all, of my Schwab Accounts show this even though the fund in question - Schwab Value Advantage - is present in all of them. Quicken leaves a lot to the imagination here and hasn't really explained themselves very well:

Your brokerage may use a money market fund to represent the cash balance in this account

So the issue might be either the Financial institution doesn't support the option of switching between cash and security, or "once you select to convert a money market fund to cash, you may not be able to convert it back to a money market fund later", or poor programming on Quicken's part.

As I recall the problem cropped up with the transition by Schwab to EWC+ and there seemed to be a way of dealing with this early on clicking by on "Update Cash Balance" prompt :

but that might have been a "one and done" event.

• Ellary Kahan
    Ellary Kahan Member ✭✭✭
    Options

How do I get to this window?

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

From the investment register's gear menu. But you may not see the Cash Representation button. I don't, in any of my accounts. It must be specific to a set of brokerages.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Ellary Kahan
    Ellary Kahan Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I don't see it for my accounts.

This discussion has been closed.