Flexible Budget Month

Options
dowens739
dowens739 Member ✭✭
edited October 2023 in Budget and Planning Tools

Since my current income (SS) is paid on a specific day of the month, not on the first, I would like to model my monthly budget with this day as the start of each budget month. Having each months budget start rigidly on the first calendar day means my budget never matches reality as far as my income until much later in the month.

1 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

SS is paid not on a specific day of the month (like the 15th), but on a specific day of a specific week of the month (like 3rd Wednesday).

Doing as you are proposing would mean that some months have 4 weeks and others have 5 weeks which would wreak havoc on your monthly budgeting even more since in the 5 week months you would probably always be over budget by the end of the 5 weeks and under in the 4 week months.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

How would a customer budget for his two paychecks arriving on the 15th and the last day of the month?

IMHO, I would just simply budget for the calendar month. By the end of the month, your Income minus Expenses will have caught up with reality and correctly show you how much little money you have left to roll over into next month.