After 167 days, BECU of Seattle finally says we can use it, but there are issues

Options
Skyking86
Skyking86 Member ✭✭✭
  1. The announcement and procedure that BECU published is for the website, not within Quicken. You can't get the access code by doing the log in from Quicken. That isn't clear that you have to go to the website, not Quicken.
  2. When the data does download, the updated downloads WILL NOT allow you to link to your existing nicknames, but wants to include only the BECU names.
  3. That means you have two accounts to process, not one. ANd now you have to find a way to either accept BECU's name or find a work around to your old nicknames.
  4. The balances can be off and an external deposit that shows up on the phone app and cleared does not port to Quicken.

In short, I've come to expect when BECU comes out of these LONG outages with Quicken, it's seldom without issues, and we become BETA testers for their fix. 167 days is a new record for the one guy in the basement to try and fix a connection with Quicken. It's ugly.

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

For #2 have you tried deactivating the old accounts before trying to link to them?

Or for #3 what you can do is move any missing transactions that are in the old account to the new one created, then delete the old one and then rename the account. I looked a BECU seems to be using Direct Connect and the name of the account in Quicken shouldn't matter at all.

On #4 After you do a download you can look at Help → Contact Support → Log Files → OFX log and search for the transactions that you see downloaded and then look in that section of the data to see if the transactions are in there or not (probably not). Which would be a clear indication that BECU is at fault.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Skyking86
    Skyking86 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

The issue isn't what you do after BECU makes Quicken misbehave. It's what BECU is doing to make this happen. There is no reason to deactivate an old account, nor is this a work around that is recommended by BECU. For #2, I did try that, but for the last year's issue with BECU I didn't need to. Still no dice. For #3 you shouldn't have to move transactions to a new one. I want to get the new one to stop populating and being a part of BECUs download, no movement of transactions needed, just link it back to the existing account. The fact that the "link to existing account" drop down isn't dropping is concerning. For #4, I have been on the BECU tech line and they just dropped this procedure on us and went home. But they have a record of what I have experienced. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I would expect that BECU would interact with Quicken and leave what is already in Quicken alone (no need to move things around) and simply start to update the way it used to after the added account verification (which could have been done after a week, I see no whistles and bells in this procedure that couldn't have been done months ago. . . its about as basic a dual verification procedure as you can get, a code to your phone and you're done. . . not exactly a rocket science solution to this long wait)

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I understand that you want to have this in one account and in theory you shouldn't have to move things around and just link back to the existing account, but then there is "reality".

Usually deactivating the old account then allows Quicken to allow you do link to that old account. A good percentage of the time Quicken will not have a previously linked account in the list of accounts that you can link when the information changes and Quicken thinks it is dealing with a completely new online account.

But in rare cases even that doesn't work, and the only way forward is to go ahead and create the second account. But now that second account should be linked to the online account and get future transactions. So, the only part left is that you probably have transactions in the old account that you want in the new one. By moving them (just the ones that are missing (from the old account to the new one, you should now have an account with the complete history and be linked to the online account. With that then the only thing left to do is remove the old account and to rename the new one in Quicken.

As for how much interaction there is between BECU and Quicken Inc I would say next to none. The communications are between Quicken (the program) and BECU's OFX server. Given that the code in Quicken hasn't changed (and hasn't mess up tons of other Direct Connect financial institution downloads) then clearly the only people that can fix the problem are at BECU. Now they might reach out and want help on technical details for this, but again Quicken Inc is the wrong company. Quicken Inc pays Intuit for "connection services" which means they are the "support" for this.

I probably shouldn't have even mention what kinds of troubleshooting is available for this kind of problem since it should be BECU that is looking at their logs and if need be get your logs from you to see what the problem is.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Mike F.
    Mike F. Member ✭✭
    Options

This s VERY frustrating. Before linking any accounts, I verified that all transactions are current in Quicken, and that the bank balance matches the cleared balance in Quicken. In theory, NO transactions should download, and for any that do, ALL should be matched.

When I linked my first account, it downloaded transactions for the last 27 days, and every one was matched.

When I linked my second account, it downloaded 525 days of transactions, and the account balance went from $405.39 to $-39.93, just from the download. I'm still looking at the account added summary! I haven't even gotten to the screen to Match, Accept, or Delete transactions. It just changed my balance. NOTE: I do NOT, and have never, automatically accept downloaded transactions. For this account, I had to add a balance adjustment.

Now that I'm done re-linking all my accounts…all but two needed balance adjustments, including one account with only two transactions since I reconciled less than a month ago. VERY FRUSTRATING!

This discussion has been closed.