Installing Quicken to a new PC

Options
El Hud
El Hud Member ✭✭

Hello, I am building a new PC and wondering how do I get Quicken installed on the new tower. I back up my current Quicken to an external drive so I have all my data. If I currently download and update new versions of Quicken to my current PC, when I get a new PC, how does this process work? Do I get a Key that I can use so I am not charged again? Anything else I should do before converting to a new PC? Thank you

Best Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Just download the Quicken installation program from here, double click to install, copy your Quicken data file to your new PC and run Quicken. Sign in with your current Quicken ID/Password which determines your version of Quicken.

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Your Quicken Community profile shows you are using QWin 2017 which is no longer supported and which can be tricky to get set up on a new PC, if it can be successfully set up at all. If this is what you are running, let us know so the process for doing that can be explained.

But your post here says that your are downloading and updating Quicken so that tells me you are running Quicken Subscription and have an active subscription. If this is the case, then @Greg_the_Geek's suggestion is a good one. Just a couple of comments to add:

1. As long as you use your current Quicken ID and PW to sign into your new installation of Quicken you will not be prompted to add another subscription.
    2. During the installation process, do not let it create a new file.
    3. You'll want to move your data file from your current computer to your new one. Since you are already utilizing an external drive for your backups, make a backup on your current computer and save it to that external drive. Then save that backup to your new computer and use that new Quicken installation to restore it (File > Restore a Backup File). You can also review this process in this Support Article if you wish: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-move-my-quicken-data-file-one-computer-another.
    4. You might get a message that the restored file is associated with a different computer. If you do get it, you should also be allowed to change that association to your new computer.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Options

The current version is R53.16 which was first released on 11/16/2023. When you download and install the Quicken installation file it will be either for R53.16 or the installation process will update to it.

If you search through Community you will find at least a couple of threads about people who had updated to R53.16 and subsequently experienced downloading issues with E*Trade. But that was coincidental and E*Trade acknowledged they had some sort of server issue on their end. It is my understanding that issue was resolved by E*Trade sometime last week.

You can read the Release Notes for various releases in the Support Article at https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-windows-release-notes.

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Answer ✓
    Options

Just download the Quicken installation program from here, double click to install, copy your Quicken data file to your new PC and run Quicken. Sign in with your current Quicken ID/Password which determines your version of Quicken.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited November 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Your Quicken Community profile shows you are using QWin 2017 which is no longer supported and which can be tricky to get set up on a new PC, if it can be successfully set up at all. If this is what you are running, let us know so the process for doing that can be explained.

But your post here says that your are downloading and updating Quicken so that tells me you are running Quicken Subscription and have an active subscription. If this is the case, then @Greg_the_Geek's suggestion is a good one. Just a couple of comments to add:

1. As long as you use your current Quicken ID and PW to sign into your new installation of Quicken you will not be prompted to add another subscription.
    2. During the installation process, do not let it create a new file.
    3. You'll want to move your data file from your current computer to your new one. Since you are already utilizing an external drive for your backups, make a backup on your current computer and save it to that external drive. Then save that backup to your new computer and use that new Quicken installation to restore it (File > Restore a Backup File). You can also review this process in this Support Article if you wish: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-move-my-quicken-data-file-one-computer-another.
    4. You might get a message that the restored file is associated with a different computer. If you do get it, you should also be allowed to change that association to your new computer.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

yes - please clarify what version you are actually running - …. Help —> About Quicken -

If you have a current subscription, then you can just download the latest version -
    if not…. then a different discussion -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• El Hud
    El Hud Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm running Version: R44.23 Build: 27.1.44.23 for Windows 10. I actually had to roll back my version to 44.23 because when they released a newer version, I could not download my banking activity from E*TRADE. The bug may be fixed by now but I have not updated to a newer version since this happened. What is the most recent version of Quicken running now? Thanks again

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Options

The current version is R53.16 which was first released on 11/16/2023. When you download and install the Quicken installation file it will be either for R53.16 or the installation process will update to it.

If you search through Community you will find at least a couple of threads about people who had updated to R53.16 and subsequently experienced downloading issues with E*Trade. But that was coincidental and E*Trade acknowledged they had some sort of server issue on their end. It is my understanding that issue was resolved by E*Trade sometime last week.

You can read the Release Notes for various releases in the Support Article at https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-windows-release-notes.

• El Hud
    El Hud Member ✭✭
    Options

Hello, I just wanted to respond to the people that left messages on how to reinstall Quicken after I bought a new PC. Incredible information and it worked out perfectly. I had backed up my latest version of Quicken on an external drive. I did use the link https://community.quicken.com/profile/Greg_the_Geek provided, and it was seamless! Thank you all once again!

• bairdjc
    bairdjc Member
    Options

Adding my 2 cents because I spent 2 hours trying to do the same thing last night. Bought a new PC (Win11) and wanted to migrate things over from a Win10. I thought, I'll just install Q2017 (I keep the install files), then copy the QDF over to the new machine and I'll be in business. Nope. Got the dreaded blank screen (after a perhaps 1 second flash of my data, btw, so it was there somewhere). After googling and uninstalling/reinstalling about a dozen times, I found a thread that outlined the procedure that actually worked for me. Purely copying over the Quicken.ini file didn't work; I'm not sure which is the critical step here - the Revo Uninstaller, or the patch, but I will say that the issue seems to stem from Quicken leaving remnants of itself all over the place such that if you don't follow the instructions from a clean machine, you're screwed. That said, Revo goes above and beyond the other install and file/directory delete methods that you'll see, even those posted by @Chris_QPW (kudos to him/her for supporting Quicken for us commoners when the company won't). Revo not only uninstalls Quicken, but it scrapes the registry and HDD to find any last traces of the install. I selected all/delete when it gave me the option.

I don't know how to link to the OP for these instructions, but again after trying many different combinations of install/uninstall/delete files/folders/using Chris's QCleanUI/etc, the following procedure worked for me (with my edits):

1. Use Revo Uninstaller to clean up an existing installation and remove the leftover files (I did not clean the registry as the leftover keys did not seem too important). [EDIT - I selected all registry keys and files/folders to delete. This was a new machine so I wasn't worried about breaking other Intuit/Quicken software. I just googled Revo Uninstaller and downloaded the most recent version from the site]
    2. Install Quicken 2017 [EDIT - I used the original install files, and selected to close the program rather than run at the end. Also note that the installer, which has internet access, auto updates to 20.6, which was the version running on the Win10 machine]
    3. Replace the quicken.ini file in ProgramData/Intuit/Quicken/Config/ [EDIT - copied from the Win10 machine]
    4. Install the patch (QW2017R20.5MPatch) [EDIT - Downloaded from Chris's website. Counterintuitive patching 20.5 over 20.6 but whatever so long as it works]
    5. Run Quicken
    6. Select Restore backup option using your .qdf file as the source or just use your existing .qdf file [EDIT - I used the restore option, which I had done previously in attempts to get it to work. I don't really think it did anything]

In the end when I finally ran it after 2 hours of repeated un/reinstalls, and my data was on the screen for more than a split second I felt like cheering. That said, it's pretty crappy (although not unexpected I guess) for a company to abandon users that don't want to upgrade to a subscription service. I don't use any auto reconciliation, web or bank connections, etc, Quicken is just an electronic checkbook basically, for me. It's just too bad that there aren't any basic softwares like this in the marketplace that don't suck (I was originally a MS Money user before MS torpedoed that).

• Greg_the_Geek
    Options

@bairdjc, FWIW, support for previous versions (2014 - 2017) was discontinued due to security reasons required for the Quicken ID login.

• El Hud
    El Hud Member ✭✭
    Options

BRUTAL! Sorry you had to go through all that.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

just to clarify for others & for this user - - R44.23 - was from October 2022 - so they were already running a "subscription" version -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.