Removing previous years from a budget

Options
sc001
sc001 Member ✭✭

I am creating my budget for 2024, and I started by copying my 2023 budget categories into the new budget. My problem is that my new (2024) budget still has the 2023 (previous budget months) in it. Is there not a way to just have your budget include only one year? Because we are still in 2023, Quicken keeps toggling back to 2023 when I am entering my 2024 data.

In the screenshot below, I have selected my new budget (Budget 2024), but the calendar selector has toggled itself back to 2023, when I really want to enter data for 2024. I have to advance forward to 2024 when this happens, or I'll enter data in the wrong year (2023).

Is there a way to just delete previous years from the budget and have it start/end in 2024 only?

Thanks!

Comments

• Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

When you create a new budget year by copying various attributes over from the current year (using the right arrow key in your image), then quicken does not allow you to delete the prior year, or any prior years for that matter.

You can create a stand alone budget for the new year through Budget Actions>Create New Budget but you will not be able to transfer the same attributes over. You'll have to manually add categories or allow quicken to build one for you.

• sc001
    sc001 Member ✭✭
    Options

Scooterlam. Thank you for answering my question. You confirmed what I thought (although was hoping it was not the case.) :-)

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have always felt that there should be a feature to delete at least the "beginning and ending" years off a budget. It just so easy accidentally extend into the wrong years, and also for the use case where people only want to have one year in the budget.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • sc001
    sc001 Member ✭✭
    Options

@Chris_QPW, I agree. I assume most people build budgets for one year, and they add/remove categories with each budget. The current approach is too easy to mess up. Why not just let users specify start and end dates for the budget and limit it to that time period???

• Erisa123
    Erisa123 Member
    Options

I created a new Budget for 2024. I modified some categories, and many of the budget amounts compared to last year. Problem: 2023 rolovers carried over. I don't want to rollover anything from prior year. I've tried Create New Budget, but it still rollovers Budget balances AND prior year spending. How can I get a clean start? Thank you.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

To remove the rollovers from last year unfortunately has to be done one category at a time.

Display the Balance field, on each rollover category in January click on that balance and this will popup.

You can then select Edit and change the amount to zero.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Erisa123
    Erisa123 Member
    Options

Correction - I am not carrying over last year's spending. I am, however carrying over the remaining monthly budget (positive or negative) from prior year. My 2023 budget is set up to carry over balances from one month to the next. However, I don't want the final results for 2023 to roll into 2024. Thanks.

• Erisa123
    Erisa123 Member
    Options

Chris QPW - Thank you very much. Your solution works perfectly!

This discussion has been closed.