Quicken Reconcile Issues with TD Canada Trust VISA (Easy Web Connect) - Incorrect Online Balance

Options
Norbert
Norbert Member ✭✭

For a while, Quicken has been unable to reconcile transactions VISA transactions downloaded from TD Canada Trust. All posted transactions from the date of the last download were download by Quicken. The online balance reported by Quicken does not reflect the balance reflecting the downloaded transactions. Neither does the online balance reflect the balance on the most recent statement - today it included one transaction that will appear on the next VISA statement. To reconcile the account, I need to deselect the transactions after the last statement, then figure out which transactions I need to re-select to match the Quicken online balance.

I manually the most recent transactions directly from the TD website and launched the QFX file, but Quicken remained stuck on the incorrect online balance. When I inspected the QFX file, it appears to show the correct available balance.

Has anyone seen this before?

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Which field in the QFX file are you looking at for determining that the online balance sent is correct?

Quicken doesn't "make up" the online balance it gets it directly from the downloaded information. It seems like maybe the financial institutions and Quicken have a different "opinion" of which field is supposed to be used.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Norbert
    Norbert Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Chris, sorry about the slow response - email notifications were not properly configured. I cannot find the QFX file that a Quicken One Step Update generates. I had a similar problem this month but could not reconcile the Quicken online balance with any balance showing on the TD website. I downloaded the QFX file directly from TD and specified transactions since the last statement, which should have shown a closing balance of $357.14. The QFX file contains:

<LEDGERBAL>
    <BALAMT>-517.06
    <DTASOF>20231219020000[-5:EST]
    </LEDGERBAL>
    <AVAILBAL>
    <BALAMT>357.14
    <DTASOF>20231219020000[-5:EST]
    </AVAILBAL>

Quicken used the -517.06 number which is the balance after the oldest transaction in the list (the first transaction posted after the last statement closed) instead of the final balance of 357.14. I am not an expert at QFX files but it seems TD is not creating a QFX file with valid balances. I reported the problem to TD but have not yet received a satisfactory response (wait until the statement has closed, clear cache/cookies/browser history). I doubt the first recommendation will solve the problem. When I downloaded the QFX file from TD for the last issued statement, Quicken again picked up the LEDGERBAL/BALAMT which I found in the second last statement from TD. I will try to get more information next month, doing all downloads from the TD site so I can see what TD is providing and comparing it to what Quicken is using.

I just found https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253793737?sortBy=best which seems similar but has no update.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You are reading the QFX data correctly. Quicken is going to be using the LEDGERBAL, and that balance should be the balance after the last transaction sent is added in. The available balance would never be used by Quicken. Available balances can "hold back" money that Quicken would have no knowledge of. For instance, you might make a deposit of $1000 and that transaction would be sent to Quicken when it clears, but the financial institution might only give you an available balance of say $100 until it was really sure it had the money from wherever that deposit came from. And in the case of investment accounts, it might the two days for the sell to be finalized.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you send this to Quicken Support using Report a Problem and include the log files they can trace this through to determine the root cause of the problem.

• Chappy
    Chappy Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I don't think this will ever get resolved, Td doesn't care nor does quicken Canada. When I perform a express web connect the online balance is always wrong. If I perform a manual web connect the online balance is correct. This has been going on for I think over a year, it happened years ago and I spent a lot of time on phone with TD support. They repaired it for a short period of time, I do not have the patience to attempt that again so good luck. On a side note Quickens cloud sync is messed up, I give up on it to and now https://investing.quicken.com/investing/ will not show my watch list. So how does quicken fix this they increase my subscription fee's lol

• Norbert
    Norbert Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for everyone who has posted suggestions. I have been in discussion with TD and have provided additional documentation to help them get the problem to the right group. As best I can tell, the LEDGERBAL/BALAMT generated by TD is picking up the wrong balance - if I download the transactions for a specific billing period, the BALAMT and DTASOF values reflect the balance after the first posted transaction in the period, not the last transaction in the billing period. I believe I have convinced TD that the problem happens on multiple computers with the latest Quicken Home and Business. TD is puzzled that I am the only one seeing this problem. I will continue to work with TD to get this resolved - I do not think the problem has anything to do with Quicken. By the way, the .QFX file for a TD savings account is correct - TD only provides the transactions by statement/billing period for credit cards.

• Arctic Hare
    Options

The number of people who use EWC with TD may be smaller than you'd estimate. Over the years, I've been surprised to learn how many Canadian Quicken users continue to use only Web Connect - mostly due to security concerns with Express Web Connect.

• Norbert
    Norbert Member ✭✭
    Options

@Arctic Hare I reproduced the problem by creating and downloading a .QFX file from the TD Canada Trust site. TD Support does not have an easy way to get information to them electronically. I managed to send the .QFX contents to TD via Secure Messaging and got a response that advised me to call TD EasyWeb Support. Unfortunately, they refused to speak with anyone except my wife (the account holder) and do anything if a third party (Quicken) was involved.

I called Quicken and had better success once I finally got through. There is already an open issue to which my ticket has been added. I provided my observations and hope that information was provided to the right people. I will post here when I get updates.

• Arctic Hare
    Options

This aligns with my efforts in the past to raise Quicken issues with financial institutions. I've never got anywhere with that approach. Quicken has an Online Banking Team that deals with these sorts of issues. Sometimes it can be difficult to get an issue escalated to that team, but that team can eventually get these kinds of problems fixed once they take ownership of the issue.

• Norbert
    Norbert Member ✭✭
    Options

@Arctic Hare even downloading directly from the TD website as a .QFX file shows the same issue. I was on the phone with TD Technical Support yesterday who were at least helpful but without some evidence, could not take the issue further. Technical Support cannot receive email or access OneDrive/Google Drive/my personal website. I provided an update via Secure Messaging and was told to call EasyWeb support. They would only talk to my wife (it is her TD account) and basically told her that even if the problem is at the TD end, they can do nothing if there is a third party (Quicken) involved. Once this issue is finally resolved, I will be addressing this poor attempt at customer service.

I called Quicken and demonstrated the problem using Quicken Screen Share. Quicken Support escalated to Tier 2 who confirmed that this was an open issue that they were working on - my ticket would be added to the list. I mentioned what I saw in the .QFX file and hope that information was noted.

If/when I get an update, I will post here.

• Arctic Hare
    Options

That whole "third party" argument is just a smokescreen. TD has entered into an agreement with Quicken to support downloads. If they wanted to be helpful they could be helpful. The problem has been demonstrated to them and there is nothing stopping them from reaching out to Quicken/Intuit and initiating an investigation other than their own will. I've had the same experience RBC and BMO, however - so, the grass is no greener/bluer/goldener on the other side of the fence.

• Incrementum
    Incrementum Member ✭✭
    Options

I found a workaround for this problem. I am using R53.26 because, in the latest January release, the Investing>Dashboard does not load …. a problem for another day.

To fix the TD Visa issue, I did the following to solve the problem:

I deactivated the TD Visa online download method and downloaded transactions from the bank website, which fixed the problem. After deactivating the account, the Account List window shows “No” in the Transaction Download Column. Note that Quicken Update or downloading from the bank automatically changes the online method to Web Connect.

After deactivating the account and updating from the bank website or through One Step Update, the user must choose a linked account. Choose TD Visa (whatever TD card has the issue) as the linked account. After linking the proper account, the program will not ask for this information again, and the balance in QB will be correct.

The bottom line is this. After following the steps above, the Transaction Download Column under the Accounts window will show Yes (Improve Connection) Do not choose this or Quicken will show the incorrect amount. Reconcile with the paper statement. DO NOT USE THE WEB CONNECT (IMPROVE CONNECTION), i.e. Express Web Connect METHOD OF DOWNLOADING for TD Cards AS IT DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY
    AND DELIVERS AN INCORRECT ONLINE BALANCE. I hope this helps.

• Norbert
    Norbert Member ✭✭
    Options

I think I stumbled on the same bypass last week. I had the account set up for Express Web Connect. I edited the Account Details, clicked on the Online Services tab, and disabled "Reconcile using online balance". Transactions are still downloaded but when I reconcile, I need to provide the date of the last transaction and the balance from the TD Canada Trust website.

This discussion has been closed.