Quicken Registers Not Updating Correctly After One-Step Update (Bank of America, Wells Fargo)

Options
Frustrated2_
Frustrated2_ Member ✭✭

I have Quicken Classic for Windows (Home and Business) - been a Quicken user for MANY years (current account was started in November, 2022, after Quicken was unable to resolve a serious issue I was experiencing which I believed was account related - and not data file related - so I started a new account to test my theory. That prior problem was completely resolved after reopening this "new" account and has not resurfaced).

Fairly recently - beginning January 24th, I began to notice that not all bank transactions were being downloaded into the Quicken registers after running a one-step update. I had numerous Bank of America transactions and a few Wells Fargo transactions which were not appearing after one-step update - even after waiting a day or two for these transactions to show up, and even though they were already present in the bank's register as viewed online. In order to troubleshoot, I deactivated and reactivated the accounts. This SEEMS to have corrected the problem with Wells Fargo Bank transactions, but I can not yet be certain of this, because the number of those transactions is FAR fewer than those of Bank of America which often number 10 or more transactions per Bank of America account, daily. (I have 8 Bank of America accounts.) However, even after deactivating and reactivating my Bank of America accounts, the problem persists with Bank of America transactions. That is to say, the problem is corrected after reactivating, but the next day when there are new transactions reported by the bank, the problem repeats itself. Sometimes transactions are downloaded - sometimes they are not. There seems to be no pattern as to when new transactions are missing from the Quicken register.

If it appears there are missing transactions (either because I know certain transactions were posted on B of A online at least 24 hours ago or longer and are not yet in the Quicken register, or because the online balance is different than the Quicken register balance - or for both reasons), I have found that if I again deactivate and reactivate the Bank of America accounts, and then run one-step update, the missing transactions will appear. They are downloaded at the time I reactivate the accounts, but when I later (the next day) do another one-step update, again there are missing transactions. Obviously, deactivating and reactivating numerous accounts is not something I want to be doing every day when I run Quicken, although it is perhaps a bit less tedious than the other option - which was to carefully compare my bank transactions in my online bank account to my Quicken transactions, and then go into Quicken to manually enter the missing transactions. I should mention the missing transactions might be either missing payments and/or missing credit card charges, or both.

Which brings me to an interesting observation: When I had gone into Quicken to manually enter missing transactions, since there is no download ID for those transactions, I thought that when I deactivated and reactivated Quicken, the bank would then cause all the transactions for the relevant time frame to be downloaded - even if they were not downloaded earlier (i.e., if I had manually entered missing transactions). To my surprise, which makes these troubleshooting steps even more difficult, the previously missing transactions (which I had to enter manually) were not duplicated, as though the bank or the system somehow knew I had already entered all the missing transactions. This does not seem likely, however, since there is no way (to my knowledge) that the bank would know which transactions I did not receive earlier, except for the fact that the downloaded ID does not appear. That being said, I would have anticipated that for each manually entered transaction (without a downloaded ID), the bank would have re-entered that transaction WITH a downloaded ID). But that does not happen.

Yet, this problem continues. When I deactivate and reactivate all the accounts from Bank of America, the bank seems to recognize the fact that the transactions in my Quicken register are not ALL of the available transactions, and it automatically supplies the missing ones. But when I try again the next day, the problem begins again with missing transactions that should be present because the amount of time since the posting date by the bank is 24 to 48 hours or longer.

I thought perhaps this was a corrupted data file, but I have run validation (all three — regular validation, authentication block validation, and super validation). All three validation tests report no file validation errors and that the validation completed successfully. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the Quicken for Windows software (in fact, I've done this several times).

In short, I have not been able to solve this problem with the above steps and analyses. I would greatly appreciate any help that anyone can offer - no matter how insignificant the info have may seem to you.

I do have a question, though: One area of troubleshooting I have not yet endeavored to take is when reactivating the Bank of America accounts, there are two options:

1. Bank of America - all other states (this is the designation my accounts are listed under, as opened with the bank).
  2. There is also a designation, Bank of America - Quicken

I have always utilized the Bank of America - all other states designation when reactivating my accounts at that bank. I have no clue what (or for whom) Bank of America - Quicken is intended and when, if at all, I should try to use it. If anyone has any information on this specific part of my query, or whether it might help WITHOUT messing up my data file, I would be grateful for this, as well.

Thank you for reading this and for any and all help with this frustrating problem.

Comments

• Frustrated2_
    Frustrated2_ Member ✭✭
    Options

Ok, this seems crazy, but I am certain what is happening after deactivating and reactivating the Bank of America accounts, the Quicken register is being adjusted to equal the online balance, however the missing transactions are not being entered.

I have now tried reactivating these accounts with "Bank of America - Quicken" (in lieu of "Bank of America all other states") - same problem.

I need a Quicken expert on this.

This is a serious issue!!!!

• sullfam1
    sullfam1 Member ✭✭
    Options

Hello,

I have been having the same issues with my BOA-All Other states account. You would think they would fix the issue!!

Marty

• Don1948
    Don1948 Unconfirmed, Member
    Options

I also am having the same issue. I did call and finally got support for help and when they were done I ended up with 2 account in quicken for the same bank account with different balances. this is a mess

• WJudson
    WJudson Member ✭✭
    Options

It's not just BoA, it's USAA as well. One account will download transactions and the second one isn't even recognized even though USAA is tracking it as connected to update Quicken, and it never does.

Getting frustrated and tired of having so many touchpoints consistently every couple of days.

• Frustrated2_
    Frustrated2_ Member ✭✭
    Options

That happens when they deactivate and reactivate ONE account where you have more than one account in the same financial institution. To fix that, you need to deactivate all of the accounts for the same financial institution and then add back the financial institution. When you do, be sure to LINK the accounts, rather than adding them. Be sure to match the names listed in the Quicken registers for that financial institution that you wish to retain. When finished, and after verifying that you are downloading to the correct registers, you may delete the duplicate or near duplicate registers for the same financial institution. However, this procedure will probably NOT fix the problem of missing transactions, but it should clear up the problem of having two account registers for the same bank account.

• dchantry1
    dchantry1 Member
    Options

This problem is still not fixed - at least as far as missing transactions for BofA CC's. Although I went 5 days without a missing transaction, a Starbucks refill transaction from yesterday was missed and I reported another problem for that item. Although I have seen a mixed bag of missing transactions over the last month (20 in total), these Starbucks refills (for $25.00) are the most common - 6 of the 7 transactions for this over the last month were missed.

• Frustrated2_
    Frustrated2_ Member ✭✭
    Options

I finally fixed the issue of missing transactions for my "Bank of America - All Other States" accounts (8 of them). It seemed that whatever steps I tried, they did not work, so I thought the problem was somehow with the .QDF file, even though the "validate and repair" process did NOT detect a problem. Here is what I did. I hope this info helps you resolve your issue:

First, I deactivated ALL of those accounts (for Bank of America - All Other States).

Next, I added back Bank of America - All Other States, but I had to give each account a DIFFERENT NAME when adding it, so I would not add to or delete the data for the existing account. When asked if I wish to add, link or not add those accounts, I chose to add new accounts (so I could see if the Bank was downloading all of the transactions when adding back. It did indeed add ALL of the transactions, including those that had been missing from the pre-existing data.

I then looked carefully at the existing accounts: Any existing account with missing data was then targeted to be rebuilt.

Since the bank downloads only a certain number of days of transactions, I had to COPY transactions prior to the earliest downloaded transaction date from the existing data into the NEW download (easily distinguishable, because I changed the account names (above)).

I made sure the online balance was equal to the new balance shown in the newly downloaded register, which now also had the copied transactions predating the earliest downloaded transaction date.

If the balances were off, it was because of a missing or duplicate transaction in the old (copied) transaction records, and not in the newly downloaded transactions (assuming the online balance and the register balance were the same right after the download completed).

I then adjusted the starting balance so that the ending register balance for that account would equal the online balance.

I then monitored carefully newly downloaded data each day to make sure the online balance for that account equaled the register balance. It worked - apparently, this rebuilt the account record and I could then delete the old (existing) record for that specific account.

After deleting the old (existing) record for the specific account, I deactivated the accounts, again, and renamed the new account back to the name of the old account (an unnecessary step, but one I performed just to maintain the same account names and naming conventions that I use in Quicken). I then reactivated the accounts and added back the accounts, LINKING them to the existing (and fixed) accounts in my register.

After monitoring these accounts since the last week in February, I am pleased to say this problem has not occurred again. I had been having this problem on a daily basis, as transactions were missing every day there were new transactions that were downloaded. So, it does seem these steps have fixed the problem.

Hope this helps.