Activating accounts for downloading can cause them to be Synced even if Sync to Mobile/Web is off

Options
Chris_QPW
Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

I deactivated and reactivated my accounts today and noticed this when I was updating:

The "Updating your data" is the status of Sync to Mobile/Web.

I have always had Sync to Mobile/Web off.

Sure enough, I turn it on and see that 8 of my accounts (the ones I just activated for downloading) selected for Syncing to Mobile/Web.

This is a bug on two levels. First off, activating an account shouldn't result in it being selected for Sync to Mobile if Sync to Mobile is off. Second, if Sync to Mobile/Web is off it shouldn't matter if the accounts are selected for Sync to Mobile/Web, they shouldn't be synced.

Signature:
This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Comments

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited February 28
    Options

@Chris_QPW - When I first saw that online service being updated, I didn't know what it was, but it would pop up from time to time and then disappear after a couple of days. I figured out that syncing was taking place when I looked at the Quicken Mobile & Web Settings.

That made me think that the syncing process was necessary for maintaining online connections. So, then I took a different approach and turned SYNC ON, and then turned off syncing at the account level.

I also confirmed that by turning ON SYNC, but turning off syncing at the account level, no account information is being sent to Mobile or Web, and how it looks to the user is the same as turning OFF SYNC.

The web page shows no user or account information.

I have had this set up for about 3 months now and it seems to be working smoothly. If I add new accounts or activate and deactivate accounts, it doesn't add accounts or activate accounts for Mobile & Web access. And my EWC connections seem to be more stable with fewer errors.

Bottom line, I think at least some level of synching is needed to maintain a solid online connection.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

As I looked more into this, I find that you are right the "Updating your data" isn't an indication that Sync to Mobile/Web is happening.

I just never noticed it before and when the reactivation of my online accounts selected them for Sync to Mobile (which I did find was happening because I had other settings problems and was going through all of them and found them selected when I turned on Sync to Mobile/Web).

So, in summary, "Updating your data" isn't an indication of this problem, but the bugs are definitely there. In some cases, when you activate an account for online services it will select it for Sync to Mobile/Web even if Sync to Mobile/Web is off. And might add that this has been discussed in another thread, and I have found that if an account is selected for Sync to Mobile/Web it gets synced even if Sync to Mobile/Web is off (as in you can log into Quicken Web and see it).

Signature:
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

Like @QuickUserPSP I have also resorted to turning Sync On at the Preferences level and Off at the account level. I can confirm that if no accounts are selected for Sync, Quicken Web will not show any data file information.

It may be coincidence, but it seems I have had fewer issues during OSU.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The problem I have with having Sync to Mobile/Web on is that it doesn't only sync accounts. It syncs your budget, and memorized payees, and it is "two way".

Signature:
This discussion has been closed.