Schwab accounts with treasury holdings

Options

Has anyone EVER been able to see treasury bonds accurately reflected in Quicken? After years of using it because there's no good alternative, I've never seen it work beyond the initial acquisition. When it expires, either the quantity gets messed up, or it remains as a holding, inflating the balance. You can't delete it, because it has transactions for interest. I have to delete the account and start it over. About to decide I need to look again for alternatives, maybe there are some now, last time I researched was 4-5 years ago. Extremely frustrated

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When it matures (expires) record a SALE for the amount of cash that you received, which will remove the value of the holding … although prior transactions will remain since they actually happened.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Wayne Hill
    Wayne Hill Member
    Options

Ahhh. Maybe that's the trick, don't let it do the download and accept, just do a manual entry. Might try that, but if I have to do these things manually, I might as well go back to a spreadsheet.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When it matures, you receive cash into some account. How do you record that, and why is a sale any more difficult?

• Wayne Hill
    Wayne Hill Member
    Options

I've always just let Q do the automatic downloads. I've never entered manual transactions. If I have to do that, it kinda defeats the purpose of the software. It gets all the information it needs from Schwab, but somehow can not process a matured treasury correctly.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

SO, Schwab isn''t sending a transaction for the maturity … but you blame Q for this???

And, there's still the question of what's happening with the cash received at maturity.

• datajunkie
    datajunkie Member ✭✭
    Options

I have Treasury Bonds at Fidelity and when they mature, I get downloaded sell transactions at face value and as a result the sell price goes into my cash balance. I don't have the problems you are having. Perhaps it's a problem with your institution.

I am however frustrated with Quicken because my subscription has expired and while I am waiting for a new copy that I bought retail, I get that annoying message to renew that won't go away. If I accidentally start a task that requires a new membership, I get a window to renew that just won't go away and the only way out is to go to task manager to shut down Quicken. I've been a user for around 30 years but with their tactics, I am ready for something different.

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@datajunkie you can enter the activation code up to 6 months prior to your subscription expiration date. What I have done is purchase Quicken on sale at a retailer and hold it until the 6 months mark has passed and then enter the activation code.

This discussion has been closed.