Quicken Classic on new Mac after hard drive crash

Options

I bought a new computer, a MacBook Air, after my old computer died, with its data now unavailable. I did not have Time Machine or Quicken data separately backed up. I've restored virtually everything on my computer from iCloud except for Quicken data. On the new computer after downloading Quicken 7.6.1 I was stuck for a long time on the database update screen and finally force quit. I'm now prompted to start from scratch, or from a previous Quicken file for Mac 2015, 16, 17, a Quicken Essentials file, etc.

Is that old data file anywhere via iCloud or is it lost?

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Are you talking about iCloud (Apple's cloud storage service) or Quicken Cloud (Quicken's cloud syncing service)?

If you have a .quicken data file or a .quickenbackup backup file on iCloud, you should be able to get going with that. The key is to move the file from iCloud to your local computer— in a folder that's not actually stored on iCloud, as Desktop and Documents folders can be configured to be.

If you were talking about Quicken's cloud syncing, although a good chunk of your data might be copied there, there is no way to start a new desktop Quicken data file from an existing Quicken Cloud dataset.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

the default file location for the Quicken file and it’s back up is not backed up by iCloud by default. So unless you change the location of the Quicken data file or the back ups, you are probably out of luck.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • ScottMac
    ScottMac Member
    Options

Thanks — I think you're right. Because there's some chance material on the drive could be recovered, where would I find that file?

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 20
    Options

The default location for your Quicken files will be /Users/<your user name>/Library/Application Support/Quicken; inside that folder are subfolders for Documents and Backups.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• ScottMac
    ScottMac Member
    Options

Thank you, much appreciated.