Why are my newly transfered shares not showing in the Dashboard or Portfolio

Options

I recently rolled over a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA. I manually made the entry in Quicken from the Traditional account by selecting "Transfer Shares" and "All Securities". I can see the "Remove" entries from the Traditional IRA account and the "Add" entries in the Roth IRA under the "Transaction" tab however, the securities, shares, value do not appear under both the "Dashboard" or "Portfolio" tabs. Seems like this should be rather straight forward but I can't figure out why the shares were added but are not being accounted for. Thanks!

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Howdy, deckerpsu1:

I suspect your answer lies in your "Transaction" view. You noted that you saw the add shares-great. But, scroll to the beginning of the account to see if you have Placeholder transactions (in light gray). These act as opening balance adjustments when you create the account, and can update automatically if it sees a discrepancy between what is reported from the brokerage.

Likely, your transferred shares transaction from from your IRA conversion are getting added, but a placeholder transaction at the beginning of the account is dutifully offsetting the addition. If this is a completely different security, it might simply be a Remove shares placeholder for said amount which you can simply delete.

Make backups, but I suspect placeholders are what's offsetting your additions. Start there, and report back with what you see.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Also, make sure your Dashboard and Portfolio are set up to include this Roth IRA account. In the Dashboard, click the ••• icon in the upper right of the card, click on the Accounts tab, and make sure the Roth account is included. In the Portfolio, the second filter is for accounts; make sure it's set to All Accounts, or include the Roth account.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • deckerpsu1
    deckerpsu1 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the reply. It was a "placeholder" issue. I went to the very beginning of the transaction log and noticed there were about 15 placeholder entires mostly dated 08/19/90. I'm wondering if this is a result of when I converted from MS Money to Quicken. This was a while back and I don't remember all the difficulties but I do remember having to make some manual adjustments in order to balance out correctly. It may have also been when I switched from one brokerage account and created a new account and transferred everything over. Either way I was able to delete the placeholder and then I deleted the additional "Add" share entries and somehow correct. ow the total number of share are now correct. Should I do the some with the remaining placeholder entries? For example there is a placeholder as below;

Shouldn't I delete this then delete the two "add" entries that total 311?

• John_in_NC
    Options

Before you do anything, I suggest you return your register to be sorted by Date by clicking on that column header. You are sorted by another column, hence the inconsistent dates and italicized running balance.

And I wouldn't blindly delete Placeholders-they do perform a function.

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I wouldn't blindly delete placeholder transactions but I would figure out why they are there and then replace them with regular transactions. Having placeholder transactions in your register that Quicken will modify anytime it feels like cause more problems than they solve IMO.

• deckerpsu1
    deckerpsu1 Member ✭✭
    Options

I sorted by Security/Payee so I could look at one security at a time starting with the placeholder entry (Remove Shares). From here it was easier to scroll thru all the entries for that specific security and then try to determine the disconnect. Using the example in the pic above I can see two "Add Share" entries totaling 311 in my transaction log. This is why was suggesting deleting those three entries because it would then cancel out. From here I would resort by date to look at the next placeholder entry and again try to determine the disconnect. Everything now matches to my brokerage account so I may just leave a sleeping dog lie. I don't use the subscription auto updates…doing everything old school!

• Gilles9
    Gilles9 Windows Beta, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 28
    Options

Your original post is dated a Saturday

Have you tried changing the date in Portfolio view for next Monday April 29

as Stocks and Portfolios do not get updated on weekends

• John_in_NC
    Options

Good; you obviously know how to use sorting to your advantage. (Many do not-that is why I pointed it out.)

You appear to have a solid grasp of what is going regarding add shares/placeholders. If you feel replacing all those various add shares with a single Add shares transaction-then go ahead and do such.

I personally would keep individually Add Shares transactions separate if they were acquired at different times (such as your IRA conversion)-that's up to you, but only you know the time of the acquisitions or what was created when you converted from MS Money, etc.

Note: you might already know this, but you can add the cost basis info to the Add Shares transaction if you keep track of that.