Problem with Vanguard downloads?

ClovisInParis
ClovisInParis Member ✭✭

Hi, I'm trying to use direct connect to download transactions from my Vanguard brokerage account and IRA, and it's not working. My one-step update summary says:

Your financial institution does not recognize the account (then it gives my account name and number). [OL-304-A]. Additional information from Vanguard:
(though there's no additional information)

My wife's IRA downloads fine.

I'm using Quicken classic deluxe for windows, version R57.16. Windows 11. Problem started a week or so ago. I've tried deactivating and reactivating the account, as well as resetting.

Anyone know what the problem might be? thanks
Phil

Answers

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4

Have you ever connected Quicken to your Vanguard account before or is this the first time for your account? If this is the first time, my guess is that on Vanguard, you have restricted access to aggregate service. To resolve this, login to your Vanguard account via a web browser and go to Profile & account settings > Security > Computer access restrictions > select the option: Allow me to access …

Edit: My apologies as I didn't read the bottom of your message that this issue started recently. I am out of ideas. Here is the link to the error message: https://www.quicken.com/support/error-when-using-online-services-ol-304/

- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• cyberphile
    cyberphile Member ✭✭✭✭

Here are some steps that I've had to use when all else fails. First, deactivate the account in question. Then, go the General tab of the Account Details page for that account. Clear the Financial institution, the Account Number, and Customer ID fields. Close the Account Details page and open it again. Follow the online services setup step. Quicken should go through the new account setup and ask you to choose the financial institution (Vanguard in this case) and then enter the Customer ID and password again.

If this fails, there is some issue with the username and password you are using. Are you able to log in to the Vanguard web site with these same credentials?

• ClovisInParis
    ClovisInParis Member ✭✭

Hi cyberphile, thanks for the suggestion. this didn't work. it's bizarre because the I am indeed able to log in to Vanguard using the same credentials.

• GRRR!
    GRRR! Member ✭✭

Don't bother. I just spent about two hours on chat with Quicken, multiple deactivates, deletes, readds, etc. At the end, they said it's not a quicken problem and to contact vanguard. Really frustrating! BTW, Quicken seems to say that it's a bank problem when they don't have an answer.

And no way to contact Vanguard about it except 800 number push this than this Hell (and still may not get to the right person). Don't have anymore time to waste on it. Assume someone at Quicken or Vanguard will eventually notice it's broken/how to fix it and fix it at some point. Why can't computer stuff just work?

• ClovisInParis
    ClovisInParis Member ✭✭

Hi GRRR!, thanks so much for your answer. I kind of reached the same conclusion — it didn't seem likely that Quicken would be able to identify an obvious fix, so I've just left it, hoping it will start working again. it's amazing to me that this software is so bad; I've just had repeated problems connecting to accounts over the 25 years I've used it. You'd think they could make this whole system more robust, which much fewer bugs. I wonder why no one has started a good competitor for Quicken.

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @ClovisInParis,

Just wondering whether you have tried to connect with your Vanguard accounts in a brand new Quicken datafile? That might at least give you an indication that your datafile may be the problem.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• GRRR!
    GRRR! Member ✭✭

The issue was resolved for a bit (week or two?). But it's back now. As ClovisInParis said, this is a pretty buggy program for what we pay - and with average at best technical support.

I wish Mint were still around. I'm thinking about going with one of the free alternatives. Even if they are buggy, too, at least they are free.

Last I looked, this was not also listed as a known issue on that page, despite multiple people reporting the problem here (and I reported it directly to Quicken twice). I better be careful - the last time I questioned why the moderators would not list a different, widely reported problem, I was deleted for being rude and argumentative 😑

• rgornitsky
    rgornitsky Member ✭✭✭

I have had the same problem with Vanguard for over 20 months. I have escalated with Quicken who points to Vanguard. Vanguard fixes it, it breaks in two weeks, and then points to Quicken. I have had endless discussions with Vanguard, even told telling them what's wrong (XML is too large). They refuse too fix the actual bug. If you can, I would move your funds to another company. Otherwise do what I do, enter the transactions manually.

This discussion has been closed.