Downloaded transactions matching to older/not same payee

mfullmer
mfullmer Member ✭✭

I'm using the latest update of Quicken Classic Premier for Windows (10 & 11). I've had this problem now for months and can't seem to make it stop. When I download transactions into my registers, doesn't matter if it's banking or credit cards, Quicken will automatically match transactions of the same amount, to older same amount transactions (as in recurring) or same amount transactions that don't even have the same Payee. I've tried all of the different things I've seen on here regarding other downloading issues, but to no avail. How do I make it stop? I do NOT have any of the "Automatic Entry" entry settings turned on for downloaded transactions.

Examples include: Venmo transactions of the same amount (my housekeeper) but two weeks apart. Subscriptions like Hulu, Netflix, etc. that are months or even a year apart.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you automatically accepting downloaded transactions into your registers?

If you are relying on Quicken to "automagically" fill your account registers from downloaded transactions, you may run into problems. Despite all efforts by the Quicken programmers, the "Autopilot" (that's my name for the part of the Quicken program which processes downloaded transactions and converts them into new register transactions) is not infallible. For that process to work 100% of the time one would need a crystal ball because the information downloaded from the banks often is just too terse and cryptic.
    You should, at least for a while, turn off the "automatically accept downloaded transactions into registers" setting to gain better control over what is downloaded and what to do with it. Click on and review each downloaded transaction, make changes if necessary before you click to accept each transaction.
    Any changes you make to downloaded Payee Names are remembered in Renaming Rules.
    Any other changes you make (add/change Category or Memo text) are remembered in the Memorized Payee List.

Next time the same transaction for this Payee comes along, Quicken should remember and give you a better new register transaction.

Where are the "Auto-accept downloaded transaction" settings?
    There are two places where this is controlled in Quicken for Windows:

• Globally, for all accounts, in Edit / Preferences / Downloaded Transactions
    • For each account individually, the global setting can be overridden from the Edit Account Details screen, Online Services Tab. Look for blue text "Automatic Entry is: ON / OFF". Click the text to change the setting.

• mfullmer
    mfullmer Member ✭✭

I have never used the auto-accept feature in Quicken. Both Global and Individual account settings are all set to "Off" for Automatic Entry.