"Minimum Gain" and "Maximum Gain" broken -- reversed in QWin 2014 R10

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
In Quicken Premier for Windows 2014 R10, I am having a problem that did not use to happen -- I am guessing that it probably broke in R10.   The problem is that "Minimum Gain" and "Maximum Gain" buttons are now doing the opposite of their titles!  For example, in a recent sale of shares, 
When I choose Minimum gain, it assigns lots with total gain 2989.89 When I reset, and choose Maximum gain, it assigns lots with total gain 2253.32.   I confirmed manually that Maximum Gain does a good job of choosing the right lots for the MINIMUM gain -- that is, I could not get the gain on these 108 shares any lower than the Maximum Gain button got it.

What I'm going to do about this for now is to use the "Maximize Gain" button to do the Minimize Gain function (But carefully, monitoring its choices to see that it doesn't switch back) and raise the priority of the project of installing my copy of Quicken Premier for Windows 2016, which I bought in early 2016 but have been waiting for it to be debugged before risking my data on a new release.   

Comments

  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    This problem is going to be hard to replicate, I think, because  I now notice that for sales in some other accounts, Maximum Gain and Minimum Gain are doing what they are supposed to do, not the opposite.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited October 2018
    Your seeming contradictory results could be the result of data corruption.  Have you tried using Q to create a copy of the data file, and then Validating the copy (so that if something goes wrong, you can return to the original). 

    It needs to be a Q copy, and not a Win copy as a Q copy is record by record (and cleans some things up) while a Win copy is byte by byte and just copies any problems also.

    If that fixes the issue, dump the original and use the copied/validated file.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017

    Your seeming contradictory results could be the result of data corruption.  Have you tried using Q to create a copy of the data file, and then Validating the copy (so that if something goes wrong, you can return to the original). 

    It needs to be a Q copy, and not a Win copy as a Q copy is record by record (and cleans some things up) while a Win copy is byte by byte and just copies any problems also.

    If that fixes the issue, dump the original and use the copied/validated file.

    Thanks for your speedy suggestion!  Following it, I used File | File Operations | Copy   and then Validate and Repair.   I got no error messages, so I am guessing that means I do not have a data corruption problem.  As far as knowing whether the copied file fixes my issue:   Well, by the time I posted I had already accepted the lot selection (for minimum gain, made by choosing Maximum Gain button) so as far as I can see I cannot test the software behavior until I have another sale transaction to assign lots for.   That opportunity will arise like clockwork next month.   By then I will be running Quicken Premier 2016.   If the problem recurs then I will try the Copy thing again, in case it is quietly doing some helpful cleanup.
This discussion has been closed.