Vanguard Account Conversion

Bill Martz
Bill Martz Member ✭✭
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Using Quicken Premier for Windows 2014.
Ever since Vanguard converted their accounts last October I have not been able to match my holdings with my online values. I think the only way to straighten the accounts out, I have two, an IRA and a regular brokerage, is to hide/delete the old accounts and download all transactions starting with the conversion date into new accounts. Is anyone able to advise me about doing that?

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Before going the new accounts route, how about elaborating on what problem you are having with the existing accounts?  What is not matching up?  IRA, brokerage, both, all securities, some securities, only MM funds?  Are these brokerage-type accounts (MF outside of Vanguard and other securities), or Vanguard MF accounts.  (I have had no problems with my MF accounts snce the change.) 
  • Bill Martz
    Bill Martz Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Thank you for slowing me down. I ran some reports and saw that I have one security in both my IRA and taxable brokerage accounts that has double the number of shares. Tracking when and how that happened is what I will do next.

Another issue for the taxable brokerage account is that only the last sweep-in out of four to the Vanguard Federal
    Money Market Fund added to the total number of shares. There are dividend payments from the Prime Money Market Fund, but only one Federal Money Market purchase.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    FYI, Vanguard is not that consistent in how they handle sweeps icw the switch to Federal Money Market. In my case, at least, when the first sweep occurred in my taxable brokerage account, they automatically created a FMM security IN THAT BROKERAGE ACCOUNT.

When the same thing happened in my IRA brokerage account they created the new FMM security in my IRA and swept out of the brokerage into my IRA.

In the first case, they never downloaded the BUY transaction, just the shares. I believe that has now been corrected, but if your transactions are from a ways back that is something to check.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    I'm not aware Vanguard updated ANYTHING in their accounts last October.  Nothing changed for me and continues to download (reliably) as before.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    Also, as an aside, your Quicken 2014 will terminate downloads around April 30, 2017.  

Time to think about upgrading your Quicken.  
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    gmalis1 said:

I'm not aware Vanguard updated ANYTHING in their accounts last October.  Nothing changed for me and continues to download (reliably) as before.  

What changed was that many folks were "upgraded" into brokerage accounts holding their vanguard funds along with other securities. (Also, thanks to Uncle Sam sweep accounts must be Federal Money market.)

• Bill Martz
    Bill Martz Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Sounds like I should have a brokerage account and an account for the Vanguard Federal Money Market Fund. I didn't realize that. I guess I have sweep transactions, but no where to sweep to. Except I now have FMM securities in my IRA and taxable brokerage accounts due to the last transactions processed. How should my accounts be set up?

Regarding the upgrade, I am waiting to the last minute.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    How was QW set up before and how is that different from real world Vanguard now?

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    If you have an "upgraded" Vanguard brokerage account (one that can hold both ETFs and Vanguard mutual funds) you don't need to create anything at Vanguard, you already have a settlement account that is part of the brokerage account. If you look at the account on the Vanguard website, you will see that buys, sells, dividends, etc. all sweep automatically to the Federal Money Market fund in the Brokerage account. It does not sweep to a fund in a mutual fund-only account the way VG brokerage used to.

The interface between these "upgraded" accounts and Quicken, however, was not working well until recently. As Bob L mentions above, until December Vanguard was apparently not downloading the Buy and Sell transactions for the Federal MM and IIRC Federal MM Reinvests showed 0 shares. Thus you had to enter the Buys and Sells manually and edit the Reinvest transactions in order to get everything to balance. I listed my work-arounds for these problems in an earlier post here:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/vanguard-brokerage-account-settlement-fund-sweep...

Most of this was fixed in December, but I am still having problems with the downloads. Digging into the OFX log file, I see that Vanguard is sending the Buy and Sell transactions on the settlement account with a UniqueID of FED12Q45Q which maps to a fund with a Ticker of FED12Q45Q and a name of VANGUARD FEDERAL MONEY MARKET. The holdings data, however uses a UniqueID of 922906300, which maps to a Ticker of VMFXX and a name of Vanguard Federal Money Market Fund (note name, Ticker, and UniqueID are all different)

Quicken 2017 doesn't match these, and creates a new holding of FED12Q45Q for the transactions without presenting the Match dialog, if it doesn't already exist. You can still fix things by editing the transactions. I am currently experimenting with making the names identical, to see if that makes it match properly.

If anyone has a technical contact at Vanguard that would help short-circuit their support tree, I would be happy to work with them to get this working more smoothly.
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.