Collapse Categories in Budget view (6 Legacy Votes)

hmday
hmday Member ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in Budget and Planning Tools
Suggestion: add a collapse categories toggle to annual budget view
26 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I don't follow what you are talking about, you can already collapse the category groups, and the parent categories.  And you can't really collapse a category, there isn't anything under it.

Are you talking about something like Collapse All, Expand All?
  • hmday
    hmday Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Yes a Collapse All or Expand All...When I select the planning tab and then select budgets, and the annual view is displayed, all categories are in the expanded view with all sub-categories displayed. I have to manually collapse each category to "roll up" the subcategories.  When I return to the budget at  a later date the categories are expanded and I have to repeat the steps to collapse each category. It should either remain as I left it when I reopen my budget or have a single toggle, as featured in other reports and displays, that will collapse all categories with a single selection.
  • Jim Blass
    Jim Blass Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I agree.  It is a PITB to have to collapse all the budget categories every time you open the Planning tab.  I would rather have them all collapsed the first time I go in and them manually expand the one I want to look at.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    I have the same problem. In my opinion the collapsed view should be the default view and then you expand as you need. Is there any way to submit a suggestion like this to Quicken to try to get this changed for a future release?
  • Jim Blass
    Jim Blass Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Still a PITB.  Seems like this would be a simple upgrade.  I can only imagine this is aggravating to a large number of users.  I think the default should be collapsed and then you can expand the categories you want to explore.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    YES, I ditto this  completely! I just spent 45 minutes looking for SOME where  in Preferences or budget options to try and have categories  default to collapsed view (or, however I left them last) in Planning.  Quicken, can you please fix this? For all the pointless little option toggles which are available that I will NEVER use,  this is a simple (useful) one that obviously was overlooked.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    Not a perfect solution, but the budget reports have collapse/expand all as a feature. I think the intention is to use budget reports to analyze and review your budgets. The planning tab is for creating, setting and managing them.
  • user_reh
    user_reh Member ✭✭
    When I'm actively working on my budget, I also feel it is absolutely needed to collapse/expand all in a single click. It does seem obvious this should be included.
  • riggz609
    riggz609 Member ✭✭
    Add a Plus/Minus Button above the column line that has all the individual Plus/Minus Buttons for budget categories. A single click would collapse or expand all budget categories at once. Seems to be a very useful feature that a lot of Quicken users would benefit from and should be fairly easy add to the program.

Thank you!
  • bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or, put “Expand All” and “Collapse All” buttons like on the Investing tab.   Either would work for me.  

added my vote....
  • riggz609
    riggz609 Member ✭✭
    I wasn't aware they had the buttons in the investment tab because I haven't been able to use that tab yet due to having no extra money for investments, Hopefully someday.😊 But yes either way would work for me, just a real inconvenience having to expand/collapse all the categories when you have a lot of them.
  • vlnielsen
    vlnielsen Member ✭✭
    I agree with all above posters. We need an "expand all", "collapse all" function on the planning tab.
  • tpivnick
    tpivnick Member ✭✭
    Solution: Reports >Other Reports >Category Summary

from there you can customize and save the report. On the right side (on Mac) there's a dropdown menu "Update view to show me".... has 3 options for different views that are equinalent to collapsing and/or Expanding Sub-categories, etc.
    Hope this helps you all
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Vote on Ideas!

A Community Moderator changed this discussion to an Idea.
    Ideas are brought to the attention of the programmers for consideration.

Everyone, including the person who initiated this discussion …
    If you would like to see this enhancement made in a future version of Quicken please don't forget to vote on it. Locate the big blue box near the top of this webpage (or page 1 for long discussions) and click the "Up" triangle under the voting count.
    Wait a moment for the vote count to be registered and updated before you continue.
    The little triangle changes from grey to black when you have registered your vote.
    Adding extra comments helps, but does not automatically increment the vote count.

Every vote counts!

For additional information about idea posts please read  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7849425/creating-and-voting-for-ideas-in-the-community#latest

• BShaffer
    BShaffer Member
    Created an account just to vote on this and add my two cents. I feel like Quicken is mid-2000's era software existing in 2020 - a lot of these features should be standard by now. I really, really want to like Quicken, but it's stuff like this that makes me wonder if I'd be less frustrated with a more modern competitor.
  • lcfillo
    lcfillo Member ✭✭
    I find the inability to open the budget planning tool initially in collapsed mode annoying as well. Please add this customization to your next release. Thanks!
  • jrbrett
    jrbrett Member ✭✭
    Agreed with all the above. Almost every other software tool since the 2000's has an Expand/Collapse All (and even Level!!! L1, L2, L3!!!!) It is silly we are even having this discussion. I pretty much stopped using the planning because it is so irritating.
  • imdcareys
    imdcareys Member ✭✭✭✭
    Also agree with this idea along with the permutations in the discussion.

Win 11 - Quicken Premier - v54.16

• rich
    rich Member ✭✭✭
    agree with this idea
  • rlmcculley
    rlmcculley Member ✭✭
    Why is this so hard to do? This is one of the many frustrations that I face as a Quicken user. We pay a premium for this service, and it offers sub-standard support and functionality. JRBRETT has a valid point -