investment account transactions altered after recording a Spin-off

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)

I receive a dividend quarterly from MetLife. My sequence is to record the dividend in my investment account. then record a transfer xout  to my savings account.

I went to record a dividend as usual and notice some odd stuff since I recorded the spinoff.

The div transaction are all there.

However the transfer transactions are missing.

when I go into my savings account then transactions are there. However when I go to matching transfer I get a popup saying the account is no longer exist.

I ran a validate with no problems.

any suggestions Bill

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    In any of the transactions in the Savings account, what shows as the Category for those transactions?

Is is the name of your Investment account, in Square Brackets?  E.G., [MetLife]

If not, I'd suspect data corruption.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I went to record a dividend as usual and notice some odd stuff since I recorded the spinoff.
    I assume that is a reference to the Brighthouse Financial spinoff we discussed here:  
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/how-to-record-corporate-spinnoff-taxable
    I'll then assume you did a Corporate Spinoff from QW2017 R6 or later and got a set of Remove Share and Add Share transactions in your account.  

Now, how do you have those transactions sorted in the transactions list.  Click the date header to get them sorted by date.  (That is, maybe your transfers were there, but just not where you were seeing them.  Not likely given you later clue.)

If as NotACPA suggests, the account name is gone from the other side of the transfers, then data corruption is quite possible.  What is your current release of QW2017?  Did it update recently, since our early September discussion?  You best recovery is then from a recent backup file.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018

I agree with you that my data is corrupted. How do I recover?

I have several automatic exit backups and normal exit backups. I tried to import the investment transaction and get a message stating something about not viable. by then I was tired and did not continue.

This all started when I tried to do the spinoff.

My thinking is to delete metlife account and renter the data. but I don't know the effects on the links.

maybe time to call Quicken.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

I agree with you that my data is corrupted. How do I recover?

I have several automatic exit backups and normal exit backups. I tried to import the investment transaction and get a message stating something about not viable. by then I was tired and did not continue.

This all started when I tried to do the spinoff.

My thinking is to delete metlife account and renter the data. but I don't know the effects on the links.

maybe time to call Quicken.

Live Chat (interactive typing) currently has a 6 minute wait, while Phone support has a 37 minute wait.  You can get to those options here: https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017

After spending almost an hour on chat we were unable to  determine what caused the corruption of the  account. Since there is only  about 20 missing transactions I will reenter them. 

it may have occurred when  I  tried to delete there three transactions that were created when I recorded my spinoff of metlife.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Bill 

This discussion has been closed.