Problem with Historical Price for ITR

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)

The downloaded historical price for symbol ITR is obviously erroneous. I have tried deleting them and updating several times.

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Not sure what is going on.  When I try to add ITR as a new security, these are the options Quicken 2017 shows me.

It would appear you want the security with the SPIB symbol, so you might try changing the ticker.  I don't know of that needs to be temporary or permanent.  Again, no real explanation from my side.  
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    From C. D. Bales:

http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/itr

SPIB works.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    ITR and several other SPDR ETFs were given new names and tickers and lower expense ratios on Oct. 16. It appears that the shares will be swapped 1:1. See this news article:
    http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20171016005642/en/State-Street-Global-Advisors-Launches-Suite-... 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

ITR and several other SPDR ETFs were given new names and tickers and lower expense ratios on Oct. 16. It appears that the shares will be swapped 1:1. See this news article:
    http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20171016005642/en/State-Street-Global-Advisors-Launches-Suite-... 

For new names and tickers at a 1:1 ratio, the user has two basic options:
    a)  Create the new security, new name, new ticker, and use a Corporate Acquisition to have that new security acquire the old one.  Quicken will generate a Remove Shares for the old security and multiple Add Shares for the new security (one for each of the old lots).  The cost basis and original acquisition dates for each held lot will be transferred from the old security to the new holdings.  

b)  Edit the original security name to be the new name; edit the original ticker to be the new ticker.  Take the option to copy old prices to the new ticker.  I would take the option to delete the prices from the old ticker, but that is personal preference; you can go either way.  Taking that method, all past historical transactions will reflect the new name.  

Option b) is rather easily the cleaner approach, but it tweaks history to show that you owned something before it actually existed.  I would still take option b) in this type of case where the change in name appears to be more marketing driven than financially driven.  If the financial investment goals of the new fund varied from the old fund's goals (old was all bonds and new is only intermediate term bonds as an example), then option a) might make more sense to me.  

If there is not a 1:1 share ratio, option b) does not work very well.  (One could add in a stock split to accomplish the share count difference, but it is not overall a clean, easy-to-understand approach.)

HTH
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Thanks for all the help.  It sounds like I can probably just edit the security symbol to SPIB?  Though I wonder what will happen when I sync with my financial institution - as they were the original source for this entry in my file.  I.e. -- will the financial institution try to change it back?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Steve said:

Thanks for all the help.  It sounds like I can probably just edit the security symbol to SPIB?  Though I wonder what will happen when I sync with my financial institution - as they were the original source for this entry in my file.  I.e. -- will the financial institution try to change it back?

I don't know. Matching to an online security from a brokerage relies on a CUSIP match, not a ticker match. But the security may have a new CUSIP and that may be what the brokerage reports. If so, Quicken should then give you the opportunity to match the new version to your edited security.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Steve said:

Any word on a patch from quicken to fix this when syncing with a financial institution(s)? I'd rather not make changes to my data as I am not confident that it will be stable and consistent. For now, I am just manually deleting the erroneous historical data for this security, which is every time I sync... :/

UPDATE: I changed the symbol to SPIB, as mentioned above, and it appears to have worked! 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Steve said:

I made this change in Quicken for Mac, and that didn't seem to fix the problem.   My account value being reported is still way off.  Its only for two transactions though.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Steve said:

Perhaps you have some other problems like this causing account values to be off?  I actually did that change and it seems to have done the trick.  I have synced with my financial institution and haven't encountered a problem...yet.  The acid test will be when there is another transaction downloaded with this security.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Steve said:

Turns out I had to close Quicken, then restart it for the changes to take effect.   How annoying.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Steve said:

So I'm having the same issue.  Made the above changes and restarted Quicken for Mac. Past transactions have correct price but recent (Dec 2017) transactions have the inflated price.  What to do?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Steve said:

@Mike Ross:  Not sure for the QMac world.  For the QWin world, the user would likely need to delete the errant values in December, then download historical prices for the last month.  (Those historical prices might come across with a regular price/quote update.)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Q2017 Windows ITR ticker symbol which became SPIB in October 2017 totals wildely ....

I have this problem in my IRA account, which occurred with SPIB, an ETF. All was well until it posted a dividend on 12/28 which I downloaded on 12/29/2017. At that point it showed a 30M balance, which sadly I do not have. Quicken Deluxe 2017 Windows current, no placeholder and direct connect is used for the brokerage. 

After searching this forum, I found something in the Mac section which matched.  It is specific to ITR, which was renamed to SPIB in October, 2017. . I have a Security Detail View that I had snipped 10/26/2017. Iin the Quote section it had 50,33x.00 for a per share price (that is right $50K). It was explained in another section that the problem occurs when a dividend posts to SPIB. A dividend posted on 12/28/2017 and my Quicken download showed this wild 30M totals.

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what happened and checking with my brokerage, which did not show 30M in my account.

There is good news however; my download of 1/3/2018 showed the correct total, unfortunately,  not 30M! What happened? I again looked in the Security Detail View.  The Quote price was 34.19 (correct).  In that section, however, the Open/Close, 52-week high/low data fields were still in the erroneous in the 50K range. So Quicken fixed itself from wherever it gets the Quote Price value. I expect the rest will eventually resolve itself in the next 52 weeks, but I really don't care.

I posted a similar post without realizing it to the Mac section and was politely told that this question belongs in the Windows section. I am hopeful that the problem is solved in all Quicken 2017. .
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Q2017 Windows ITR ticker symbol which became SPIB in October 2017 totals wildely ....

I have this problem in my IRA account, which occurred with SPIB, an ETF. All was well until it posted a dividend on 12/28 which I downloaded on 12/29/2017. At that point it showed a 30M balance, which sadly I do not have. Quicken Deluxe 2017 Windows current, no placeholder and direct connect is used for the brokerage. 

After searching this forum, I found something in the Mac section which matched.  It is specific to ITR, which was renamed to SPIB in October, 2017. . I have a Security Detail View that I had snipped 10/26/2017. Iin the Quote section it had 50,33x.00 for a per share price (that is right $50K). It was explained in another section that the problem occurs when a dividend posts to SPIB. A dividend posted on 12/28/2017 and my Quicken download showed this wild 30M totals.

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what happened and checking with my brokerage, which did not show 30M in my account.

There is good news however; my download of 1/3/2018 showed the correct total, unfortunately,  not 30M! What happened? I again looked in the Security Detail View.  The Quote price was 34.19 (correct).  In that section, however, the Open/Close, 52-week high/low data fields were still in the erroneous in the 50K range. So Quicken fixed itself from wherever it gets the Quote Price value. I expect the rest will eventually resolve itself in the next 52 weeks, but I really don't care.

I posted a similar post without realizing it to the Mac section and was politely told that this question belongs in the Windows section. I am hopeful that the problem is solved in all Quicken 2017. .

however, the Open/Close, 52-week high/low data fields were still in the erroneous in the 50K range. 
    FWIW:  When I added SPIB to my test file this afternoon (1/4/18), the other data came in at reasonable values.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2019

My Totals are now correct, due to the 34.19 correct price's showing in Quote section (as well as Previous Close), but as of 1/5/18 (downloaded as of 1/4) the Open/High/Low and 52-week high/low values are still in the 50K range. But I do not care about them, and don't use them. 

One anomaly I see is that the symbol still shows as ITR in Security Detail screen because I purchased it on 2/3/2016 and it was renamed to SPIB October 16, 2017 but the symbols are not shown in the register entries. So it doesn't matter to me. .  
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

@judy... If you are seeing ITR in places noted on the snip below from a security detail view, you need to change them the SPIB.

Use the "Edit Security Details" button to make the change to the "Symbol",
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2019

I backed up Quicken first, then made the change.Then I saw the attached screen. This security was purchased March, 2016, and there were about 8-10 dividends before ITR > SPIB.And while now current price is correct, all the others were in the 50K range. I did not know whether to rename the dividends prior to the name change to SPIB or not.I did not know what would happen from the brokerage/Quicken standpoint. image

I chose the default but wasn't sure what it did. It had NA beside the quote symbols for this.  So I chickened out and restored from my backup.. 
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

Name Changes

When you perform a Security name change in Quicken (via the Enter Transactions button), all prior transactions get that revised name.  There is no longer a record of the prior name other than a Reminder transaction in the transactions list for the applicable account.  There is no impact on the relationships to downloaded securities.  There is no requirement that the brokerage and your Quicken file use the same name for the same real-world security.

If you simply edit the security details and change the name there, the same applies, though the Reminder transaction will not be created.  

Ticker Changes

Ticker changes are similar but not identical.  Quicken keeps a separate price history 'file' within the QDF file that organizes in part around the ticker.  So when you change the ticker through the Edit Security Details, Quicken pops up with the options you saw.  The defaults are as checked and that is a safe set.  

While there may be times you would not want to copy quotes from old ticker to new ticker, in most case you do.  In this case, since ITR no longer has any representation of the ETF you own, I would say it is also reasonable to delete the quotes for ITR.  The data will still be available under the SPIB ticker.  All prior transactions will be unaffected.   

With respect to either of these types of changes for this type of situation, there is no need to edit or revise historical transactions. 

CAVEAT: There can be other situations where you would not want this simple name change approach.  You might need or want to have the historical record show you bought 'original company' under its original name and it later became 'new company'.  Another approach is appropriate in those cases.   
This discussion has been closed.