Schedule Investment transactions (Buy, Sell, Div, IntInc, etc)

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited September 2019 in Investing (Windows)
I came from [removed] where this is so straightforward, however I was unable to find this on Quicken 2017. 

I track my business transactions in the form of Securities, in which I receive and pay for stuff on determined dates for a determined period of time. The way I do this on [removed] is creating a security for that specific negotiation and scheduling payments/receivables in Buy/Sell transactions from the Investment account. Aside from memorizing transactions in Quicken, I didn't find a way to schedule these transactions to certain dates. Can someone point out what I am missing or give me an idea on how to approach this better in Quicken?

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    In Q2017, take a look at Bill Reminders and Investment Transaction Groups. You can set up Reminders to schedule income, expenses, and transfers from either banking or investment accounts. You can also use them to schedule investment Transaction Groups, which can include one or more memorized investment transactions to record on the same day.

Search Quicken Help for transaction group for more info.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Awesome. Thanks Jim! One more question: On the Transaction group, is there a way to put a limit on up to when that transaction group will recur? eg on the transaction I am trying to add below, I can select 6th of every month. But can I select 6th of every month until, say, Februaryimage?
  • Jim_Harman
    edited November 2018
    I don't remember what the setup looks like, but once you have a reminder set up, you can edit it to add an end date to the Next due on setting.

Reminders are very flexible - you can set them to occur every X weeks, like paychecks or newspaper bills, twice a month on the Xth and Yth, or even on the due dates for quarterly tax payments. 

Quicken 2018 made changes to the Bills tab which led to some problems that they are in the process of fixing.
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

I don't remember what the setup looks like, but once you have a reminder set up, you can edit it to add an end date to the Next due on setting.

Reminders are very flexible - you can set them to occur every X weeks, like paychecks or newspaper bills, twice a month on the Xth and Yth, or even on the due dates for quarterly tax payments. 

Quicken 2018 made changes to the Bills tab which led to some problems that they are in the process of fixing.

@Jim & Dingo

For a regular scheduled bill or income transaction, one can set an end date as Jim indicates.

The dialog for a scheduled group transaction is slightly different and does not appear to include the ability to set an end date.

Running QWin2018.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• Jim_Harman
    edited November 2017

@JM,

You are correct, and this is also true in QWin 2017. 

It would certainly be nice if all reminder-like things (Reminders, Transaction Groups, and the reminders that go with newly set up Online bills in Q 2018) all had the same flexibility as regular Reminders.

They probably wanted to simplify the set-up, but it is annoying when you lose capabilities in the process. Maybe an "Advanced" button for the more esoteric options?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017

that would be nice. saw a feature request related to this in another post few years ago but it seems to have been lost in Quicken limbo. its weird that you can set end dates for regular reminders but not for other type of reminders. guess ill live with it until 2018 or later change that.

Thanks Jim and JM for the helpful discussion
This discussion has been closed.