Downloads and converting from separate accounts for each mutual fund

Options
KDK
KDK Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I am using Quicken 2015 for Windows.  When I set up my Quicken investing accounts (starting 20+ years ago), I created separate accounts for each of several mutual funds with Vanguard.  Since then, I have always manually entered mutual fund transactions.

Now, the dilemma:  When I recently decided to try downloading from Vanguard, Quicken declared that it had converted one of my mutual fund accounts from "an account with a single mutual fund" to "an account with multiple mutual funds," and then listed all transactions for all of the separate mutual funds to be downloaded to that single account. 

Apparently I should have originally set up a single account with multiple mutual funds, and now I need to either (1) keep my current account structure and somehow direct the downloaded transactions to the separate Quicken accounts or (2) somehow move a few hundred old/historical transactions from the separate Quicken mutual fund accounts to the holdings/securities (to resolve placeholders) within the single account. 

What's the best way to accomplish each of these options?

Thanks!

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    You can transfer securities from one account to another. This creates a Remove transaction in the source account and as many Add transactions as there are lots in the target account. The original acquisition dates and cost basis are transferred to the target account.

As always when making changes, back up first so you have a way to restore should anything unexpected occur.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    mshiggins said:

You can transfer securities from one account to another. This creates a Remove transaction in the source account and as many Add transactions as there are lots in the target account. The original acquisition dates and cost basis are transferred to the target account.

As always when making changes, back up first so you have a way to restore should anything unexpected occur.

To expand on mshiggins's recommendation, I don't think there is any way to implement your option 1.

In each of your single fund accounts, you would use a Shares Transferred Between Accounts to move all the current holdings to the common account.

When you download transactions into the common account, you will need to review them carefully to eliminate any duplicates.

If you have trouble dealing with the settlement fund transactions, post back for further advice.

+1 on the backup first, so you can revert if anything goes wrong.
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.