Quicken 2016: How to change equity cost basis?

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited June 2018 in Investing (Mac)
Hi everyone - I'm setting up investments in Quicken 2016 and have several equities that are missing the cost basis.  After inputting a few, I noticed that the dates are incorrect (2017, when they should be 2016).

I can't find any way to modify or edit a previously entered cost basis.  At this point, I'd even settle on deleting the entry and recreating it but there's no obvious way to delete the cost basis.

Is this a limitation of Quicken or a limitation of my intelligence?  

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    What "flavor" of Quicken - Deluxe, Premier, etc. - and Windows or Mac?

By "setting up" investments I assume you're manually entering transactions, particularly since you used the word "inputting."  If that's the case then it sounds to me like you've simply mis-typed the date, using XX/XX/2017 instead of XX/XX2016. 

Perhaps this is a "Mac" issue; I certainly have no problem going back to a purchase and changing the date in Windows:

And a simple right click on a transaction and the selection of "Delete" from the menu of available actions works fine.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Hi Tom - it's Quicken 2016 for Mac so there's no version type, per se.  You just get Quicken for Mac.  And, thanks for the response and validating the Windows version.

I suspect this is a limitation of the Mac version.  It's mind-boggling how feature-less this product is and it looks like the problems are specific to the Mac version.  I get no menus when I right-click, and any links to edit are greyed out.  

I guess I have two options - live with the limitations of Mac (Quicken's issues is amplified in the Mac version) or plan an eventual upgrade to the Windows version (which requires finding a way to run a Windows OS without dual booting).  

Third option is a wholesale move away from Quicken - which is looking more likely.  I really miss Microsoft Money.

Are there any Quicken for Mac users who know how to change the cost basis for an equity lot?
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    It sounds like you have placeholders. I recommend you review the FAQ post on this topic:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickenco...

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    mshiggins said:

It sounds like you have placeholders. I recommend you review the FAQ post on this topic:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickenco...

Hi - I'm very familiar with placeholders.  Unfortunately, this isn't it.

I'm just updating the details on the cost basis (or adding the cost basis).  Once the transaction is entered, there's no obvious way to edit it. 

Quicken Support advised me to take backups before making any further changes.  How is that even an acceptable answer?   
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    I think I've solved my own problem.  I can go into the transaction register for the individual stock and modify the cost basis details.  This includes the dates, shares and strike price.  Thanks to the guys that took some the time to reply.
  • karnlowe
    karnlowe Member ✭✭
    Thank you, George Sophy, for posting your resolution, as I also recently experience this and found your solution very helpful!
This discussion has been closed.