Reporting system replacement (5 Merged Votes)

Dean Woolstencroft
Dean Woolstencroft Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Reports (Windows)
Would it be possible include a "Report Writer" system within Quicken.  In such systems (like I wrote for General Ledger Systems years ago) allowed the user to select fields for a report - including formatting, etc. 

Quicken's present system is extremely limited - at most allows selection of columns w/ limited  (if any) formatting.  There should be report writers available which could be incorporated within Quicken.

The only method now is to export data and use a spreadsheet (Excel, etc.) or a database (Access) to import and create your own reports.  This is not only clumsy but beyond many peoples' capability.
Tagged:
7 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I completely agree and I have asked for this feature in the past.  Unfortunately nothing has been done in this area so far.
  • MisterQ
    MisterQ Member ✭✭
    I do not use the Tag field and I don't plan to ever use it in the future. But it shows up in the display every time I do a Find and I always have to shrink that column so I can see the ones that I actually care about.
  • Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    Hello All,

This Idea seems to have fallen stagnant and due to the age of the request and lack of User Votes/Comments, it will be archived within the next 7 business days.

If you would like to see this Idea kept alive and considered for possible future implementation in Quicken, be sure to add your vote and a comment explaining how this Idea would be beneficial for you.

More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given all the complaints about the current Quicken for Windows report generator shortcomings, don't you think it's time to do something about it and provide a brand-new better Report Writer function?
    What do we need?
    • Better automated column width selection, to make data fit within column and not show truncated dates 12/31/20... or truncated amounts 10,123...
    • Make better use of paper width and auto-adjust to portrait / landscape mode switch, to make line fit page width
    • Better method to save report customization, include/omit columns and establish default for future use of same report without re-customization.
    • Report preview and mini-preview to work with all types of monitors, resolutions, screen sizes and Windows settings (100%, 250%, etc. magnification)
    • What else am I missing?
    I sure would like to see something happen here. Sooner than later.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    In response to @MisterQ 's comment:
    Instead of shrinking the Tag column width one can deselect the column from the report's customization dialog.
    Making Quicken remember customizations like column selections, column widths, etc., would be a real enhancement.
    Perhaps this Idea should be merged with https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20075668#Comment_20075668 or other similar Ideas and forwarded to the programmers for consideration.
    [updated, UKR] A moderator did indeed merge individual discussions, so the link above now points back to this discussion. Thank you, moderator!
  • wiensken
    wiensken Member
    I have been looking into 3rd party software to automate tasks in Quicken such as export to QIF. Then I use software like bank2csv to convert the qif file to an excel compatible format, from there excel macros reformat the data to build a database for reporting. For those with BI experience, I am basically working on ETL (Extract Transform Load) from quicken. It isn't simple. It would be so so so much better if Quicken had a real report writer!
  • I came upon this string while looking for a Q report writer solution. I keep holding off creating an Excel spreadsheet for a more functional Balance Sheet and Income statement. Any help Quicken?