Reversing withdrawal to my banking account

Using quicken 2016, windows 10 direct connect with Wells Fargo. I have the paper check that Quicken mailed to the vendor. How to restore the funds back to my bank account since check will never be cashed?

Comments

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi @ M Gilbert ,

Go to the Check Transaction in the Register.
    Highlight the Transaction.
    Click on More Actions Gear.
    Click on Void Transaction(s).
    Click Yes to Confirm.
    Click Save on the Transaction.
    Now the Balance will be increase by the amount of the Check in question.

That's it.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    The actions given to you by @thecreator will "restore" the amount to your Quicken account register.
    But you still have the uncashed paper check in hand. Take it to your local branch office and explain the situation to the branch manager so that they can redeposit the money your bank's account register.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

Hi @ M Gilbert ,

Go to the Check Transaction in the Register.
    Highlight the Transaction.
    Click on More Actions Gear.
    Click on Void Transaction(s).
    Click Yes to Confirm.
    Click Save on the Transaction.
    Now the Balance will be increase by the amount of the Check in question.

That's it.

Some users like to first copy the original amount of the check into the memo field, since that value will be lost as the check is voided.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    I deal with Wells Fargo through Quicken and I don't believe the account will be charged until the check is cashed.  I have a couple of checks to a doctor that he apparently hasn't deposited in 2 months and the are shown as uncleared in register.  I have found simply voiding the check is sufficient but like to note amount as suggested above.  Of course, if I want to prevent payment in future, I contact bank and place a stop payment on check.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

The actions given to you by @thecreator will "restore" the amount to your Quicken account register.
    But you still have the uncashed paper check in hand. Take it to your local branch office and explain the situation to the branch manager so that they can redeposit the money your bank's account register.

Hi @ UKR ,

If the person has a Check in hand that the person wrote, and that check was not cleared by the Bank, the Bank is not involved. The person does not need to take the Check to the Bank. The person, just shreds the check.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I think @M Gilbert needs to post back with more information, because I see two ways of reading this.

1) The bank withdraws the funds from the account when the checked issued and the vendor returned the check without cashing it to the OP and needs to get their money back which is covered by UKR's response.

2) The bank doesn't withdraw the funds until it is cashed, so voiding it would work and is covered by @thecreators response.

Ball is in the OPs court.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2020

Splasher makes great point. This is post update with added info.  The entry in Quicken shows 'C' in Clr column.  Quicken, as 3rd party payer, made request to Wells for funds prior to issuing the paper check and my Wells account reflected the withdrawn funds.  Had several conversations with Wells Fargo and their formal positon is 'the charge was an authorized electronic payment from my account'. My priority now is having the withdrawn funds to cover the check, returned to my account.  I can deal with the Q data base later.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

I made my post based on the assumption that M Gilbert's account was debited immediately, when the bill pay system mailed the check. M Gilbert just confirmed the assumption and now he/she has the unenviable task of trying to get his/her money back.

If discussions with the bank prove difficult ... several of the larger TV stations in my local area offer a Helpline for consumer disputes, to help recover money. Perhaps there's one in your area, too, that you can call.

This discussion has been closed.