How can I run a report to calculate total RRSP contributions to various accounts over a specific per

Chris11
Chris11 Member ✭✭✭
edited December 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I also need to run a report that tells me what RRSP contributions I've made over a period of time into different accounts, and don';t seem to be able to find a way to get this to work.

Part of the issue is that my RRSP Contributions are accomplished by transferring money from my chequing account into my RRSP account.  Tus there is no opportunity to categorize the transaction as a RRSP Contribution via the categories list.

If you go into the edit account for the RRSP, under "Tax Schedule" you can designate "Transfers In" as being associated with RRSP Contributions; however this doesn't seem to accomplish anything.

What am I missing here?  Should this not be a super simple thing to try and calculate in Quicken?

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: How can I run a report to calculate total RRSP contributions to various accounts ....

Comments

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    @Chris: I'm not in front of Quicken right now and, hence, I don't remember the name of the banking report you need to start with (maybe someone else will contribute the correct name of the basic report), but it is the one that includes all transactions, including transfers, for a given account. Run such a report for your chequing account; then, simply, customize the report by limiting the report to only one category, which is the transfer account category that looks like this [name of your RRSP account]. This will report will include only the transactions that were transfers out of your chequing account to your RRSP account.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

@Chris: I'm not in front of Quicken right now and, hence, I don't remember the name of the banking report you need to start with (maybe someone else will contribute the correct name of the basic report), but it is the one that includes all transactions, including transfers, for a given account. Run such a report for your chequing account; then, simply, customize the report by limiting the report to only one category, which is the transfer account category that looks like this [name of your RRSP account]. This will report will include only the transactions that were transfers out of your chequing account to your RRSP account.

That should be the Banking Transaction report. Customize to include just the Checking account under Accounts and just the RRSP accounts under Categories. In QWin 2018 the list of transfer accounts under Categories has just the account names, not in [brackets].
    QWin Premier subscription
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

You could also use the Search field at the top right of the register and enter text contained in those RRSP transfers. This will filter the register to show only transactions that match the search text. The filtered transactions are totaled. Combine that with the date filters at the upper left of the register and you have a quick report that includes the desired transactions and their total amount.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    From C. D. Bales:

You need to supply your Quicken year-version, release, and operating system.

The following is based on Quicken for Windows (and from my experience with Quicken versions earlier than Q2018).

"If you go into the edit account for the RRSP, under "Tax Schedule" you can designate "Transfers In" as being associated with RRSP Contributions; however this doesn't seem to accomplish anything."

You can display and subtotal on Tax Schedule in the Banking > Transaction report. You can also see Tax Line Item totals in Tax reports.

" ... there is no opportunity to categorize the transaction as a RRSP Contribution via the categories list".

Transfers ARE categorized and you can select their categories just as you would select other categories in a report. Whether that alone would achieve your goal is not clear, since you have not said whether there are any non-RRSP transfers into the RRSP account.

If all the transfers into the RRSP account are for RRSP Contributions, you need only de-select all categories in the report Customize dialog, then select only the transfer into the RRSP account. Scroll down past the last non-transfer category (the last expense category). There you will find the "transfer-categories": look for the name of the RRSP account and select that.

There is another way to select specific transactions that have Memo fields.mYou can put unique text in the Memo field of transactions (text that has meaning to you and can easily be distinguished from other Memo text - one technique might be to precede the text with a couple of pound signs).

Suppose you put "##RRSP Contribution" in the Memo field of your RRSPnContribution transactions. You could then use the report Customize dialog to select only transactions that have "##RRSP Contribution" in their Memo field. On the Categories tab (and a couple of other tabs, depending on the report) there is usually a "Matching" section. When the Memo field appears in the report Customize Matching section, you can enter the text you want to match on in the Memo box and Quicken will select only transactions containing that text.

[If you're trying to identify transfers, you might want to consider whether you will only want to select one-half of the transfer-pair that comprise a Quicken transfer. You can put the same text in both transactions or only one

of the two transactions.]

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.