Full instructions for tracking 401k/403b

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Is there any resource, on the quicken web site or elsewhere, that describes/explains how to interpret what Quicken is doing with 401k/403b tracking? 

Or, perhaps a more specific question: between paychecks (i.e., between contributions to the account), should my "Cash balance" be 0?

I'm using Quicken 2017 Deluxe.

Comments

• Roger M
    Roger M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    When the contribution from your scheduled paycheck reminder gets entered into the 401(k) account register, you should then have a positive cash balance. Usually, a couple of days later, the "Buy" transactions will be available for download from your FI. After you download those new transactions (or enter them manually), your cash balance should go to 0.
    Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription **** Windows 10 Home *** Quicken user since 1996
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Roger M said:

When the contribution from your scheduled paycheck reminder gets entered into the 401(k) account register, you should then have a positive cash balance. Usually, a couple of days later, the "Buy" transactions will be available for download from your FI. After you download those new transactions (or enter them manually), your cash balance should go to 0.

It may be more than a few days, more like 10, between the deduction from your paycheck and the securities being bought
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Roger M said:

So far, it seems to happen the same day or the next day.
  • Roger M
    Roger M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Roger M said:

It will vary by employer & FI. I get paid on Fridays, and the buy transactions are executed on Monday, and available for download on Tuesday.
    Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription **** Windows 10 Home *** Quicken user since 1996
This discussion has been closed.