Transferring Quicken 2018 Mac to PC

My Quicken 2018 mac version is now so slow that it is usable. I think part of the reason is that my MacBook Air is circa 2012 even though it does run Sierra 10.13.4.  I am considering purchasing a SurfacePro version whatever-is-newest and moving my Mac 2018 Quicken data to PC.  However, multiple posts in the past say that investment accounts don't transfer well.  Is that still true? I am not willing to re-enter my data. I have MANY investment accounts, plus MANY linked accounts plus MUCH data (2001 to present).  This is not about which version is best or which computer is best, but can I move my Mac data to the PC version without loss. Thanks.

Comments

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 2018
    Investment accounts (still) won't  come through at all, and your cash & credit accounts will most likely be totally scrambled. The Mac-->PC Conversion has never worked correctly from 2010 on. Nothing has really changed on this front. 

I don't wish to be the prophet of doom, but that is unfortunately the truth.

As for your data being so slow-that could be another issue. Sure, it could be that your MBA is an older, lower powered machine, but I don't know if that totally explains it. The complexity of your data (usually lots of differing investments) cause slowdowns, but your file should still be usable.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    Thank you John in NC!  I installed Quicken 2018 on my husband's work MacBook and my file ran just fine (in that it didn't take 30-40 seconds per transaction to save).  I don't really want to use a work computer for personal finance, so I might opt for a new Mac Mini just to run Quicken. I have been following the other Quicken Community post on the new version of Quicken 2018; that is what broke my file.
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 2018
    Katherine said:

Thank you John in NC!  I installed Quicken 2018 on my husband's work MacBook and my file ran just fine (in that it didn't take 30-40 seconds per transaction to save).  I don't really want to use a work computer for personal finance, so I might opt for a new Mac Mini just to run Quicken. I have been following the other Quicken Community post on the new version of Quicken 2018; that is what broke my file.

I personally would think twice about getting the Mini-they were nice, but haven't been updated in a couple years. If a new model is released, then that changes things.

You could try moving the file back to your MBA and see if it performs better. Or, it simply could be a problem with your MBA and it having issues. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    Katherine said:

I may use my husband's MacBook until a new MB/MBA/whatever that I really want to buy is released.  The problem is probably not my MBA but rather that Quicken 2018 is a CPU hog. Bad programming!  Down boy! When I checked the CPU usage was 100.3% (not possible?) and when I used by husband's new MB it was 80% (really? I am not calculating lunar orbits, people!) Whatever change was done recently is making the program less efficient. 

(I just tried to see if the file that opened on my husband's computer works now on my 2012 MBA.  Nope, still too slow. Good idea, though)
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 2018
    Katherine said:

Katherine, there are certain things in Quicken Mac that cause slowness that can be controlled.

If it takes 20-30 seconds between transactions, the first thing I'd check it to make sure you don't have any other accounts open in background windows. It may sound silly, but a number of people on this forum have reported similar slowness, and discovered it was all caused by a window in the background. (Pull down the Windows menu, and the last menu item should be Sync Errors; if there are items below that, select them to pull these other registers to the front, close them, and then try entering a transaction.)

Investment registers in Portfolio view take a huge amount of time to compile the data to draw the pretty graphs at the top of the screen. Even clicking over to Transactions view, and then back to Portfolio view causes a delay even though nothing has changed since the graph was previously built. If you're willing to forego seeing the graphs, hide them to see if it improves performance. (Click and hold on the little dot in the center of the screen beneath the graph, then drag it up to the top; for some reason, this action isn't very responsive, so it may not look like it's doing anything instantly, and you may need to try a few times to get it to work.) Remember that there are graphs in every investment account, and the combined main headings (like Brokerage, Retirement, Investing), so any of these you visit often will benefit from hiding the graphs.

Editing to add: on non-investment registers, there are also graphs if you view the Spending or Income tabs; I use only the Transactions tab 99% of the time, so I forget about those other views and their graphs. If you use the Spending or Income tabs, that could also slow you down; consider using the Transactions tab, which has no graph.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    Whatever the last update was fixed my problem. I don't have to buy a new computer now or use someone else's. CPU is in the 25% range when saving, rather than 100.3%.
This discussion has been closed.