How to "hide" a category in the category list - can not select item

Options
I would like to hide some of the old closed out accounts from the category-transfer list.  There is a checkbox to select the item to hide. But the box is not activated and I could not add the checkmark to select the item.  How do I activate the checkbox?
Thank you.
I am using Quicken 2017, Build 26.1.17.2

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Rather than approaching this from the Category side, let's look at the Account side.

When you do CTRL-A (or TOOLS, Account List), what's the current status of those accounts? 
    • Are they closed in Q? (be careful, because that action isn't reversible)
    • Are they hidden in Q?
    • Are they "separate" in  Q?
    Doing any of those actions should cause them to be removed from the Category list.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited May 2020
    Options

Rather than approaching this from the Category side, let's look at the Account side.

When you do CTRL-A (or TOOLS, Account List), what's the current status of those accounts? 

• Are they hidden in Q?
    Doing any of those actions should cause them to be removed from the Category list.
    Actually, none of those actions hide the account transfer categories in the Category List.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    You might be able to change the account name and add a Z to the front of it so they sort to the bottom of the list.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

• Are they hidden in Q?
    Yes, the accounts were "closed", "hidden", and "separated".  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

• Are they hidden in Q?
    Long standing bug:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/hiding-account-categories-in-q2017
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

• Are they hidden in Q?
    I could not select "Hide" in the Category List.  The checkmark box is gray out (not activated).
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

• Are they hidden in Q?
    Just so people know, I posted this in the thread I referenced above where jsshum made the same comment.

@jsshum, the category "transfer list" isn't where we were talking about (even though it certainly seems like it should be).  It is the "Hide in Transaction Entry Lists" in the Tools -> Manage Hidden Accounts dialog (and the same setting on the "Display" tab in the account details).

Basically the reason there is such confusion is because long ago they decided to reuse the category field to show transfers.

So here you have a "category" that is also an "account", or in fact neither of them depending on how you look at it.

It makes it hard to decide what this "animal" is, where to "hide it", and such.
This discussion has been closed.