Cannot change transaction - Schedule E unspecified

The tax line item for rental property category "Utilities" subcategory "phone" is "Schedule E: Utilities" 
But when categorize the split transaction as "Utilities (Rental): Phone", the tax line item for the transaction is: "Schedule E: Unspecified Rental Expense" - should be "Schedule E: Utilities".
Also, when I try to change the tax line item from Unspecified to Utilities, the change does not take effect - i.e. the tax line item for the transaction cannot be changed.

The version is: 2018 Home and Business and Rental Property R11.20 (most recent version as of 9/13/18)

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Tax lines are set, and changed, from the Category dialog.

TOOLS, Category List, click on the specific category to change, click on the faint clock icon to the far right, click Edit and click Tax Reporting.  Pick your desired tax line for that category and click Save.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Thank you for responding. The tax line item is set correctly for that category (Schedule E: Utilities)
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Thank you for responding. The tax line item is set correctly for that category (Schedule E: Utilities)

If I'm reading this correctly, you're using 2 different categories (without success) for the phone expenses related to your rental unit.

"Utilities:Phone" isn't the same category as "Utilities (Rental): Phone".  In the 2nd example, your category is "Utilities (Rental)" ... not Utilities

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

In the first sentence of the original post I should have written "Utilities (Rental)", not "Utilities" so it is the same (I just checked).
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Where exactly do you get stuck while trying to change the Tax Line Assignment? Do you get any error messages?

Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window
    showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect
    your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s)
    here?

The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and up) can be used to
    capture a partial screen image and save it to a file.  Microsoft Paint can be used to annotate the
    image.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

To take a screenshot in Mac please see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

Please create image files of type PNG, JPG or GIF only.

To attach the image here, start composing your reply. At the bottom of the text
    entry window on the webpage you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I U
    S

Click the camera icon (not the video camera icon). It will allow you to select
    and upload the captured image file from your computer. The captured image will
    be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Thank you. I will get this to you on Monday. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Hi UKR, 
    I don't get any error messages. The problem is that the split transaction is not categorized properly for Schedule E,when first categorized and, when I try to change it, the program doesn't accept the change.  Enclosed is a sequence of images showing:
    1) Rental Property Expenses Categories. The Tax Line Item for Utilities (Rental): Phone is set correctly.
    2) The schedule E report where Utilities (Rental): Phone is grouped under "Unspecified Rental Expense"
    3) The split transaction (after clicking on it)
    4) The tax line item set to "Unspecified Rental Expense" for the Utilities (Rental): Phone  portion of the split transaction
    5) The attempt to change it to "Schedule E: Utilities" (prior to clicking "OK") and
    6) The tax line item not changing after clicking "OK"
    BUG.
    Thanks!

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    The release is 2018 R11.20 (as noted in the original post). I have already called support and they took me through the validate/super validate process (and got me setup on this community board) but have not applied the "Mondo Patch". I will try that and see if that makes a difference. More later.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    From C. D. Bales:

"But when [I] categorize the split transaction as 'Utilities (Rental): Phone', the tax line item for the transaction is: 'Schedule E: Unspecified Rental Expense'"

Try assigning a Rental Property tag to the split line.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Yup, that worked. Thank you very much!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    I had it tagged as cell phone (I see now that  the cell phone designation should be in the memo field). Kind of surprised the support guy didn't catch that one and I should have tried the options in the drop down menu in the tag field. Had the blinders on!
This discussion has been closed.