Home Mortgage details missing from Rental Property P/L

I am using Quicken 2018 Home, Business & Rental Property. I'm having difficulty tracking P&L for my rental properties. If I categorize the mortgage payment for a rental as 'Mortgage', it shows up in the Rental Property P&L. However, if I split the transaction into the details (eg, Interest, Principal, Escrow) as subcategories of Mortgage, they do not appear. The only thing that shows up in the P&L is anything at the main 'Mortage' category. While easier, I'd rather have the detail show it tracks with my mortgage accounts. Appreciate any advice on how others handle this in Quicken!

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    My first thought would be that you have a "customization" issue in the Rental Property P&L report.  That is, the report is only looking at the top-level Mortgage Category for information and ignoring any SubCategories.  So click on the "Customize" gear wheel and check that first.

From a pure "Profit and Loss" standpoint only the interest is a current period expense.  The principal and escrow amounts are "Balance Sheet" transactions, either reducing a liability (Mortgage) or increasing an asset (Escrow Balance), but if you want to show these "transfers" (a bit of "Quicken-speak") as a form of "expense", you can customize the report to do so.
This discussion has been closed.