Post dated transaction entered in checkbook

In January 2018, I downloaded a newer version of Quicken Premier for Windows 10 after having an older version for many years that worked wonderfully without erros.  I do not use the bank transaction download features online; I prefer the old fashioned way of entering them myself.  I pay some bills online, post dating them, and then enter them with the post-dated date in Quicken.  Most of the time they show up at the bottom of the ongoing list of transactions but they are shaded a little darker, indicating they have not paid yet.  Occasionally it happens that these post-dated transactions don't show up at the bottom/end of the list of transactions.  If I search for them, they will show up in the search feature but they are sometimes not listed at the bottom with all the other transactions.  It appears they are included in the current balance.  Why will these post-dated transaction not show up (shaded darker) all the time?  This is very frustrating.  Since upgrading to a newer version of Quicken, I have never felt confident that I can trust the amount of funds Quicken says I have verses what the bank says (minus the transactions that have not cleared yet).  

Comments

• Rich_M
    Rich_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    One possibility is when you are using a date filter other than All Dates.  If you choose any date filter beginning with Last, such as Last 30, 60 or 90 days, post dated transactions will be excluded from the register.
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10 Pro
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018

Thanks.  I checked and it is set to all dates, any type, all transactions.  I even clicked on the reset button in case something needed cleared.  No such luck.  I searched and found my posted dated transaction (I know about it as I just recently entered it; if I had entered it some time ago, I'm not sure how I would find any of those transactions) and changed it to today's date; it still did not show up.  I also just noticed that none of my deposits for the past 6 months are showing up either. :( 

• Rich_M
    Rich_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Some other things to check.  Is the register sorted by date?  Any possibility that any of the missing post dated transactions had the wrong year?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    When you say "post-dated" do you actually mean future-dated?  Because Post-dated would be in the past.

I ask because, if you register is sorted in date order, future dated items WOULD be at the bottom, below the blue line that separates current/past dated items from future-dated items.  And those future-dated items WOULD have a different background color from the others.

To check what field your register is sorted on, WHICH column header has an arrowhead adjacent to to the column header name, and which direction is that arrowhead pointing?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• SimonSezSo
    SimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020

When you say "post-dated" do you actually mean future-dated?  Because Post-dated would be in the past.

I ask because, if you register is sorted in date order, future dated items WOULD be at the bottom, below the blue line that separates current/past dated items from future-dated items.  And those future-dated items WOULD have a different background color from the others.

To check what field your register is sorted on, WHICH column header has an arrowhead adjacent to to the column header name, and which direction is that arrowhead pointing?

NotACPA, Post-dated is the correct term.  It actually means "after this date".  A post dated check means that it is future dated.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019

Rich,  Thanks for you suggestion about entering wrong year; I have inadvertently enter wrong years on some transactions in the past!  You mentioned sorting by date, so I did click on that column, and my transactions did appear and the problem seems fixed now!  I don't know how it got changed as I didn't click on it but I'm grateful it seems to be working correctly now!  Thanks!!!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

Yes, that is what I meant by post-dated, a transaction to take place at a future date.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Rich,  Thanks for you suggestion about entering wrong year; I have inadvertently enter wrong years on some transactions in the past!  You mentioned sorting by date, so I did click on that column, and my transactions did appear and the problem seems fixed now!  I don't know how it got changed as I didn't click on it but I'm grateful it seems to be working correctly now!  Thanks!!!

The arrowhead, in the column header, indicates WHICH field that account is sorted by.  The direction of the arrowhead indicates whether it's an increasing sort (i.e., oldest first) of decreasing sort (i.e., newest first).

You can change the sort field, and the sort order, by simply clicking on the Column name.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Rich_M
    Rich_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

CJ: This is very common and happens to all of us because it's so easy to accidentally click one of the column headers changing the sort order.  As NotACPA said, pay attention to where the arrowhead is in your register.

Unless you intentionally want a different sort for some reason, the arrowhead should normally be in the date column.
This discussion has been closed.