Entering Transactions

Total newbie here.  My husband just decided he didn't want to do the finances as of 2/1/19.   He had totally lost control of the reconciling and everything was manually entered.  I did a year end and archived the data file and opened a new file as of 2/1/19.  I have entered all my banking accounts and almost all credit accounts and have them set to do One Step Update.  I am trying use Quicken efficiently as possible.

I am paying my bills thru BOA bill pay and when they actually are paid the transaction downloads  just like it is supposed to but my register balance is not reflecting the current status prior to the scheduled payment date.  I want to know that $200 is going out in 5 days, etc. 

My question - If I enter the bill amount into the register will Quicken recognize and link the downloaded transaction or will I have duplicates?

Also what is the best source to learn the basics?

Thanks

Sue Sweet

Best Answers

Answers

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    GeoffG said:
    "My question - If I enter the bill amount into the register will Quicken recognize and link the downloaded transaction or will I have duplicates?"
    You want to set these up using Reminders and not enter them directly into the register. This means setting up once and the reminders (income, bills or transfer) will trigger at the appropriate time and enter into the register for you.
    Disagree. The matching of downloaded transactions to bill reminders is erratic - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't work. This results in overdue reminders that must be investigated and the reminder manually skipped. 

If you instead enter the reminder into the account register any time before accepting the corresponding downloaded transaction, the matching works 100% of the time and there are no overdue reminders that need to be actioned. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.