Export investment account to import to new data file

I recently started having issues with my data file. After downloading transactions, the program locks up and won't respond any time I try to open this specific QDF. The data file in question dates back to 1999 and has gone through at least 6 conversions for version upgrades.

I was able to restore a backup from about a month ago, but the same thing happens every time I download transactions, so I currently have a working file where I can't download anything since February 8, 2019.

From this file, I was able to export to QXF and import into a new data file, but the investment accounts and transactions were skipped.  I also attempted to export QIF of each individual investment account, but Quicken will not allow importing QIF into checking, savings, investment, or brokerage accounts. 

I really want to get my investmnt account transactions copied to the new file. Is it possible to export and import the last 12 years of investment transactions? I can't figure out why export and import is not treated the same for all account types, but I haven't been able to figure this out after 3 days of searching.

Best Answer

Answers

• Todd Nicholson
    Todd Nicholson Member ✭✭

That link didn't describe my exact situation, so it listed many additional steps that were not applicable. My banking and "property & debt" accounts and transactions were already imported to the new data file with the QXF export/import. Here is what I did to get my investment accounts and transactions after extracting the relevant information from the linked post...

1. Open the file previously restored from backup that is currently in working condition without running One Step Backup.
    2. From menu, select File>File Export>QIF
    3. Set a file name for the QIF file
    4. Select one of the investment accounts
    5. Check the options to include in the export: Transactions, Account List, Security List, Category List
    6. Click OK
    7. Repeat steps 2 through 6 for each investment account
    8. Open the new data file that contains all data previously imported from the QXF
    9. From menu, select File>File Import>QIF
    10. Select a QIF file from step 3
    11. Select all applicable checkboxes (Categories and account lists only needed for the first import since they will be the same for each QIF)
    12. Ignore warning that states "QIF import is not available for checking, savings, credit cards, 401(k) and all other brokerage"
    13. Click OK
    14. If prompted, say yes to import transactions for the account selected during the QIF export
    It was the warning referenced in step 12 that made me think that this wouldn't work. Now I have some cleanup to do. I previously tried downloading just the first quarter 2019 transactions into a new account, but now I have a bunch of duplicate cash contribution transfers that are duplicated.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    From C. D. Bales:

@Todd Nicholson said:

"That link didn't describe my exact situation, so it listed many additional steps that were not applicable."

Since it would be literally impossible to list every Quicken user's exact situation; the link was intended to provide the appropriate "considerations" that might be applicable to anyone attempting to "merge" Quicken files ... intending to allow every user who read it to choose the considerations that applied.

Then @ Todd Nicholson said:

"It was the warning referenced in step 12 that made me think that this wouldn't work."

The warning you refer to, which states "QIF import is not available for checking, savings, credit cards, 401(k) and all other brokerage"; is a misleading warning - it is not literally true, but it must be taken into consideration by users of Quicken versions from about Q2004 through Q2017. 

If you were able to import an investment account QIF file into Quicken that had not be modified following its export from Quicken, then you must be using Q2018 or later. 

Otherwise you would have been required to take action to modify the QIF file to allow it to be imported to a Quicken investment account by following the instructions in this FAQ:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7150750/faq-how-to-import-qif-files-into-non-cash-accounts-post-q2004

That FAQ is applicable to all Quicken versions from about Q2004 through Q2017 (those who don't see the warning when they initiate a QIF file import, should not have to consider it).

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.