Dragging and Dropping to Match Transactions

I am unable to drag one transaction on top of another to eliminate the duplicates in my bank transactions after a Quicken for Mac download. For example, I have a certain amount automatically deposited in my checking account every month. I enter it manually and when I download the transactions from my bank I now have two deposits. I thought I was supposed to be able to drag the bank version on top of my manually entered version (or vice versa) and the two would merge. I thought this is how Quicken for Mac "learned" the transaction. This happens every month and I have to delete the downloaded bank transaction. This behavior throws my balances off. This is just one example. It is a frequent occurrence with the bank checking and savings accounts. My bank is Wells Fargo and I am running Quicken for Mac 5.11.0 on Mojave 10.14.4. 

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Yes, dragging and dropping is the correct way to match a manually entered transaction to a downloaded one. 

Transactions, however, can only be matched once-you can't match more than once. I do. I don't know if that is your situation, but it could be.

Also, make sure you have the manually entered transaction in the correct account. If you are looking at a global account view with multiple accounts intermixed, then you might not notice that the manually entered transaction is in the wrong account.
  • AnneK48
    AnneK48 Member ✭✭✭
    I am in the correct account. Here is the situation - I have entered the manual transaction and when I download I notice that the bank has also downloaded a transaction. It has a different name (the bank has named it) but the same amount. In addition, my manual transaction and the bank transaction are checked blue (matched). So I am under the impression the bank has recognized a transaction. I try to drag one transaction over another but it does not merge (or learn). Do you think I should uncheck them both and then try to drag? Also, what exactly do you mean by it “can only be matched once?” Thank you so much for responding.
  • AnneK48
    AnneK48 Member ✭✭✭
    Ok. Former Windows Quicken user here :). #learningcurve.  I’ll turn on that column. Could be a couple of days before I see another transaction. Thank you.

• AnneK48
    AnneK48 Member ✭✭✭
    So, it happened today. Yesterday I entered a manual transaction for something I purchased from my checking account. Today the bank download matched (matched (auto)) the manual transaction and also downloaded a transaction. I cannot drag one over the other to keep the one I want. The only choice I have to get rid of the transaction marked "Downloaded" is to delete it. I do have a box checked in Preferences, Connected Services to "Automatically improve the quality of downloaded payee names and categories" if that makes any difference. I want the manual transaction not the downloaded one.  It happens frequently enough to be annoying. I Here is a screen shot:

• AnneK48
    AnneK48 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Ok, I did discover something, but it is still a two step process and does not always work.  If I go in and reject the automatic transaction match I can then drag and drop. But in the case of the screen shot above it got even more complicated. The downloaded transaction was from PayPal. When I rejected the automatic transaction match I ended up with two dowloaded transactions as you an see from the following screen shot. I think until I can figure this out I'll just delete the downloaded transaction and keep my manual one.

• AnneK48
    AnneK48 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Wells Fargo (no surprise here I do not believe WF is not very respectful of Quicken :). I know I was using Direct Connect when I was on the Windows version. We get charged $3/month. How do I find what kind of connection in the Mac version? (I did try searching and couldn't find an answer.)
  • AnneK48
    AnneK48 Member ✭✭✭
    It is Direct Connect.

• AnneK48
    AnneK48 Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you for all your help.
This discussion has been closed.