BillPay Pricing

Is Quicken BillPay Free for users of Quicken 2017 H&B?

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken BillPay is not free for Quicken 2017 H&B.
  • Neil32@
    Neil32@ Member ✭✭
    Thanks, that is what I suspected
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depending upon what bank you use - you can use the BANK Billpay feature to connect directly with Quicken....   I am using CHASE, and I think PNC also offers it -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Neil32@
    Neil32@ Member ✭✭
    thanks, I use Schwab and the connection type is "direct" and in the online tab it says that I can connect without leaving Quicken so I guess it should work fine.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    NO - NOT THE SAME
    If you go and - Edit the Account - click Online Services -
    down at the bottom is the Online Bill Payment section.  (which I think you have done)
    If you click on the - Setup Now - you will be presented with a new screen...
    Quicken Bill Pay --> is a 3rd party outside firm that is used as a proxy service
    - http://quickenbillpay.com/
    In my case - CHASE BILL PAYMENT - is another option, since I already have a Chase checking account and use it for online bill payment....

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Neil32@
    Neil32@ Member ✭✭
    I guess I do not understand.  You are correct that I went to edit account and then online services tab.  toward the bottom is says "Pay your bills online without leaving Quicken" and then if I click on "setup Now" I get a screen similar to what you show but it only has option 1 (Quicken BillPay").  So I guess that I would only have the option to use Quicken BillPay but you say that is a third party outside firm?  Doesn't that still work from within quicken software?  Is there any way that I could use Schwab?  Is there a list of banks that work directly like Chase?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    The financial institutions that support online bill payment from within Quicken are the institutions listed a supporting PAYMENT in the FIDIR.TXT file maintained by Quicken within the hidden C:\ProgramData folder.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neil said:  Is there any way that I could use Schwab?
    Just did a search and found this form - you may want to contact Schwab directly and find out more about how and what you need for "bill payment"
    and if they know if Quicken will directly interface with the bill payment system.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    The financial institutions that support online bill payment from within Quicken are the institutions listed a supporting PAYMENT in the FIDIR.TXT file maintained by Quicken within the hidden C:\ProgramData folder.

C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\Localweb\Banklist\2019

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Neil32@
    Neil32@ Member ✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    I am guessing that the folder only exists if you already have BillPay because it does not exist on my PC (I have show hidden folders checked).  If you could possibly do a screen print of the folder I would appreciate it.
  • Neil32@
    Neil32@ Member ✭✭
    ps56k said:
    Neil said:  Is there any way that I could use Schwab?
    Just did a search and found this form - you may want to contact Schwab directly and find out more about how and what you need for "bill payment"
    and if they know if Quicken will directly interface with the bill payment system.

Thanks, I already have Bill Pay using my Schwab account so I don't think the form will be of any help, but I will contact Schwab to see if they can shed any light on connecting directly with Quicken.
  • Neil32@
    Neil32@ Member ✭✭
    ps56k said:
    Sherlock said:

C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\Localweb\Banklist\2019

I am guessing that the folder only exists if you already have BillPay because it does not exist on my PC (I have show hidden folders checked).  If you could possibly do a screen print of the folder I would appreciate it.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neil's folder will probably be C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\Localweb\Banklist\2017 
    because he is running Quicken 2017.

The important thing is to search for the latest version of fidir.txt
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Neil32@
    Neil32@ Member ✭✭
    Thanks, I found the file and it shows Charles Schwab so why dom't I get the option to use Schwab when I click on activate ?
    The file was actually located at c:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\Inet\Common\Localweb\Banklist\2017\
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Neil said:
    Thanks, I found the file and it shows Charles Schwab so why dom't I get the option to use Schwab when I click on activate ?
    The file was actually located at c:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\Inet\Common\Localweb\Banklist\2017\
    Charles Schwab doesn't support PAYMENT.
  • Neil32@
    Neil32@ Member ✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    Neil said:
    But I thought if I found the bank in that file that it supported direct payment
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Neil said:
    Sherlock said:
    Neil said:
    Supporting the Direct Connect connection method is not sufficient.  The Institution must support the Direct Connect connection method and PAYMENT.  If you review the FIDRIR.TXT file for PAYMENT, you'll see the financial institutions that support online payment from within Quicken
  • Neil32@
    Neil32@ Member ✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    Neil said:
    Sherlock said:
    Neil said:
    Supporting the Direct Connect connection method is not sufficient.  The Institution must support the Direct Connect connection method and PAYMENT.
    So is there a list of banks that support PAYMENT?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Neil said:
    Sherlock said:
    Neil said:
    Sherlock said:
    Neil said:
    Supporting the Direct Connect connection method is not sufficient.  The Institution must support the Direct Connect connection method and PAYMENT.
    For the third time: If you review the FIDIR.TXT file for PAYMENT, you'll see the financial institutions that support online payment from within Quicken
  • Neil32@
    Neil32@ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Sherlock said:
    Neil said:
    Sherlock said:
    Neil said:
    Sherlock said:
    Neil said:
    For the third time: If you review the FIDIR.TXT file for PAYMENT, you'll see the financial institutions that support online payment from within Quicken
    Okay, we have proven that I am not the smartest person you ever helped but I finally see what you are trying to tell me.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I was surprised at how many PAYMENT entries there actually were -
    I only thought a handful of banks supported their own online Bill Payment via Quicken.
    BTW - an easy way to see if any of your banking accounts support this Quicken integration is merely walk thru each of your banking accounts
    in the Account List --> Edit the Account - click Online Services -
    down at the bottom is the Online Bill Payment section. 
    If you click on the - Setup Now - you will be presented with a new screen...
    And you will be able to tell - only #1 for Quicken Bill Pay or #2 for Bank Bill Pay

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Neil32@
    Neil32@ Member ✭✭
    I was told that the bill pay information was ONLY stored on my vault in my Quicken app but I was also told that I can go to a web site and pay bills.  If I can pay bill bills from a web site without using my app then the bank login name and password must be stored someplace on a quicken web site.  

Am I wrong or am I missing something?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Using Notepad to open the FIDIR.TXT file and turning WordWrap OFF - easy to scroll.
    Here are a couple of entries -
    Notice the Chase entry has the "PAYMENT" keyword and Schwab doesn't. 
    BTW... there are several Charles Schwab entries, for investments & banking,
    and none have the PAYMENT keyword.
    Also - notice on the PNC entries, the Direct-Connect has the PAYMENT and the Web-Connect doesn't

10898    10898    10898    Chase    http://www.chase.com    1-877-242-7372    http://www.chase.com    ACTIVE    BANKING,PAYMENT,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&DIRECT    BANKING,CREDIT&WEB-CONNECT         BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT    NOT_QBP    NA

08888    08888    08888    Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.    http://www.schwab.com/quicken    (800) 533-0439    http://www.schwab.com/quicken    ACTIVE    ACCOUNTINFO,INVESTMENT&DIRECT                   NOT_QBP    NA

04501    04501    04501    PNC Bank - Direct Connect    https://www.pnc.com/    1-800-762-2035    http://www.pncbank.com/personal_finance/online_banking_center/quicken/0,3810,252,00.html    ACTIVE    BANKING,PAYMENT,ACCOUNTINFO&DIRECT              BANKING,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT    NOT_QBP    NA

07138    07138    07138    PNC Bank - Web Connect    https://www.pnc.com/    (800) 762-2035    https://www.pnc.com/    ACTIVE         BANKING,CREDIT&WEB-CONNECT         BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT    NOT_QBP    NA

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Neil32@
    Neil32@ Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the payment info, what about the storage of login information on a web cloud some where?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Neil said:
    I was told that the bill pay information was ONLY stored on my vault in my Quicken app but I was also told that I can go to a web site and pay bills.  If I can pay bill bills from a web site without using my app then the bank login name and password must be stored someplace on a quicken web site.  

Am I wrong or am I missing something?
    We may access a financial institution's bill pay web site with a browser using credentials we have memorized or that we maintain in a password manager of our choosing.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Neil said:
    Thanks for the payment info, what about the storage of login information on a web cloud some where?
    You kinda seem confused on how all this works together ....
    You can go to your banking or investment company website and create an online User ID and password - and then log into their online website to see your accounts, activity, etc.  For some institutions, they offer a bill payment feature, like Chase.  I log into the Chase website - supply my User ID and password - it is not stored anywhere... which would kinda defeat the purpose of having one.  Then I can see my accounts, and for bill payment, I can create a Payee, schedule a payment, and log off....   I had been doing this for years - manually entering my bill payments, and letting Chase pay them electronically behind the scenes.
    Next - again, in my case, I recently found out that Quicken could link up with my Chase bill payments.  So, within my Quicken desktop software, edit my Chase account and enable it for Chase Bill Payment - which is NOT the same as using the "Quicken Bill Payment" external service.... it's a wording problem here.... yeah, they are both within Quicken and work the same way, except one uses an external 3rd party as a proxy and is called "Quicken Bill Payment" - vs - my connection from Quicken to Chase Bill Payment.  And all of these entries are shared back and forth during the Quicken One Step Update process....
    So - lastly - not sure what you are talking about concerning login info & web cloud ??
    If you choose to use the Quicken Password Vault -
    that it used during Quicken One Step Update - and basically fills in the passwords... which of course then downloads any transactions AND upload any Bill Payment entries for future processing.
    Of course the Quicken Password Vault has nothing to do with you manually logging into a bank/investment online website.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Neil said:
    Thanks, I found the file The file was actually located at
    c:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\Inet\Common\Localweb\Banklist\2017\
    yeah - Start here ------------- C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\    for older versions -
    or here for newer versions - C:\ProgramData\Quicken\
    and then ---> Inet\Common\Localweb\Banklist
    and then look for the "year" of your latest installed Quicken software; 2017, 2018, 2019

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• jl747
    jl747 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    There is a Schwab Bank High Yield Investor Checking® Account
    You will need a Schwab One brokerage account in order to use their Bill Pay.
    Also in the Quicken bank list here is the info on the bank
    27522    27522    27522    Charles Schwab Bank - Investor C  http://www.schwabbank.com/    1-866-266-4756   
    http://www.schwabbank.com/    ACTIVE  BANKING,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT    NOT_QBP    NA
    03793    03793    03793    Charles Schwab Bank -Web Connect
    http://www.schwabbank.com/    888-403-9000    http://www.schwabbank.com/
    ACTIVE     BANKING&WEB-CONNECT     BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT    NOT_QBP    NA
    Note that from what I understand that if you open a Schwab Bank Checking Account they will do a hard pull on your credit report.

Quicken Windows Business & Personal (Subscription) - Using the latest version -Windows 10 Pro

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    jl747 said:
    There is a Schwab Bank High Yield Investor Checking® Account
    You will need a Schwab One brokerage account in order to use their Bill Pay.
    Sure... you can have a Banking Account at Schwab - my Schwab One acct has one.
    AND you can have their Bill Payment - via their online website - with separate ID -
    BUT - as has been noted in this thread, without the PAYMENT keyword in the FIDIR.TXT file for that Schwab entry - it will NOT link directly with the Quicken software for bill payment..... like my Chase acct does -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neil said:
    Is Quicken BillPay Free for users of Quicken 2017 H&B?
    For your original question -

There are two Quicken Bill Pay plans available for Quicken users. 
    The Quicken Monthly Plan is $9.95 per month for Starter and Deluxe customers;
    the Quicken Subscription Plan is free with a membership purchase of Premier and above.  

The paid Quicken Monthly Plan includes 20 transactions per month for $9.95,
    with a $5.00 charge for 15 additional transactions.

The free Quicken Subscription Plan includes 15 transactions per month for free,
    with a $5.00 charge for 15 additional transactions.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.