How do I deal with Accelerated Vesting of a Stock Option due to a company sale?

me
me Member ✭✭✭
My company was sold and I have stock options that became fully vested as part of the transaction.  There does not seem to be a way to deal with this in Quicken.

I have previously exercised and held (not sold) options from this grant so deleting it and starting over is not a reasonable solution.

I was thinking I could exercise and sell the vested shares from my grant and then enter another grant for the unvested shares, but in that case I have the continued vesting of the shares from the real grant that will continue for the next few years.

Any ideas?

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019 Answer ✓
    I suggest you delete the next pending Vest transaction for each original grant (which should also automatically delete the subsequent Vest transactions for the original grant) and then delete the Expire transaction for each original grant.  Then, you may proceed to create appropriate grants for the remaining options to be exercised.

Before making any significant changes, always save a datafile backup: press Ctrl + B

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019 Answer ✓
    I suggest you delete the next pending Vest transaction for each original grant (which should also automatically delete the subsequent Vest transactions for the original grant) and then delete the Expire transaction for each original grant.  Then, you may proceed to create appropriate grants for the remaining options to be exercised.

Before making any significant changes, always save a datafile backup: press Ctrl + B
  • me
    me Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you.  The combination (exercise and sell vested options from the existing grant, and create another grand for he uncested)  looks like it will work perfectly.  I was not aware of the delete future vests options. 

There are some useless posts on this topic that are ancient and I couldn't find anything that suggested this.  

This discussion has been closed.