Do you use invoicing for your small business? We want your feedback! Learn More

How do I record bonds and CDs that were transferred in kind from my parents account to my account?

I inherited investments from my parents. Bonds and CDs were transferred to my account in kind. I cannot figure out how to add them like I added the stock that was transferred. Thanks for the help!

Best Answer


  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How did you add the stock?  Probably with an "Add Shares" transaction.
    The bond & CD transactions work pretty much the same way ... except that you should review Q Help about some of the quirks involved in buying bonds ... because you'll need to "pretend" that they're shares.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • kmmccain
    kmmccain Member
    edited June 2019
    Thank you. yes I used the Add Shares transaction for stock. I added a bond with the add share just now pretending it was shares so I see what you are saying.

    The receipt value to my account is different than the tax cost. Do I use the tax cost for the price?

    Also I do not have information on the date the bond was first acquired in my parents' account but I don't know if that matters.

     Again thanks

This discussion has been closed.