Support corporate acquisitions/mergers and divestitures/spin-offs in Quicken (Mac) (4 Merged Votes)

Options

Comments

• hogfarmatt
    Options
    IBM Spun off its holdings in Kyndryl Holdings on Nov. 3, 2021. IBM and Kyndryl are both BIG companies, but Quicken for Mac is not programmed to handle an entry that. Please update the software. A lot of investors will bless you.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Total agreement with the above have had several corporate spin offs over the past few years , had to manually crank these transactions cause QM unable to support. 
  • James Young
    James Young Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have the same issue and echo your requests for this fix for Mac. I have a spin-off of OTIS the balance of shares and value track but there is no basis in Q. I am not as adept as all of you with QM so wondering if there is a simple way to add basis. I have 44 shares, Q shows 0. I have the transaction history showing the date, price and amount of the transactions adding up to 44 shares. If I go to the "add" feature in the portfolio view and record the transactions as "buy" will this property create basis without issues?
  • Gym B
    Gym B Member
    Options
    Spin-offs have been a mac problem for a long time. It's killing me. I own GE which is spinning off more in the near future. Could really use this to be updated.
  • PeterHoltan
    PeterHoltan Member ✭✭
    Options
    Ever since I switched to Mac in 2009, I have been struggling to find a decent replacement for MS Money. I would routinely try each new release of Quicken for Mac, but I would always return it in utter disappointment. Personally, I would have been embarrassed to release such a reprehensible software package to the discerning Mac customer. For years, I kept a prehistoric PC around, just so I can continue managing my finances in archaic versions of Windows XP and MS Money.

More recently and ever since Intuit sold Quicken to H.I.G. Capital, there have been many great improvements to the Mac version and it's finally a decent product that's worthy of consideration. I love finally having a decent Mac version, but I don't love it enough to renew my Quicken subscription every year. I still can't shake that feeling of being cheated when I pay the same price as Windows users, but I get far fewer features. For the past few years, I've been renewing my subscription every other year and manually downloading the QFX files so that I can get my Quicken up to date for when I do renew. Once Quicken for Mac is as full featured as the Windows version, they'll probably have me as a committed and loyal customer forever. But for now, I'm just a part-time Quicken customer.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    I still can't shake that feeling of being cheated when I pay the same price as Windows users, but I get far fewer features.
    @PeterHoltan Quicken Windows has a 20 year head start over the current Quicken Mac; as many new features get added to the Mac product, and as much better as it will become, I can't see how it will ever catch up to Quicken Windows. That would require the Quicken Windows developers to stand still, or the Quicken Mac development team to be larger than the Windows team to do more faster — and neither of those are or will be true. So you're setting yourself up for perpetual disappointment it you judge Quicken Mac only in comparison to Quicken Windows. I suggest evaluating Quicken Mac simply on its usefulness to you and whether the improvements you see each year justify continuing to pay for the product to support those improvements. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Richard Gibson
    Options
    The acquisition of XLNX by AMD occurred today. I looked for a merger pull down to handle it. After over an hour I discovered Quicken Premier Version 6.5.3 for Mac cannot do that. I texted with Quicken Chat and was told me to go to the Quicken Window select Securities but the follow thru only addresses a merger of same securities. I'll have to manually delete XLNX and add AMD but the supporting data of which is presently held in my XLNX entry will not reflect purchase dates, long and short data in my new AMD entries. Disappointed.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @Richard Gibson..its going to be painful . I have gone thru these a few times ..Alcoa spinning off ARNC & HWM, & IR integrating GDI..For reasons I probably don't understand the QM folks are not working these important  issues.
  • jz
    jz Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    > @Richard Gibson said:
    > The acquisition of XLNX by AMD occurred today. I looked for a merger pull down to handle it. After over an hour I discovered Quicken Premier Version 6.5.3 for Mac cannot do that. I texted with Quicken Chat and was told me to go to the Quicken Window select Securities but the follow thru only addresses a merger of same securities. I'll have to manually delete XLNX and add AMD but the supporting data of which is presently held in my XLNX entry will not reflect purchase dates, long and short data in my new AMD entries. Disappointed.

See my my August 2020 comment in this thread. It includes an example that shows how to do spinoffs without losing lot information.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Anyone who wants to see this feature implemented, your votes matter; higher vote counts can help push feature requests higher on the developers' to-do list. If you haven't already voted in this thread, please jump to the top of the first page of the thread, scroll down a little until you see the yellow box, and click the dark gray arrow under the vote counter. (If the arrow is light gray, you've already voted.) 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • PMOb
    PMOb Member
    Options
    I have the same situation with the spin-off of AT&T. With all the money Quicken makes on their applications; you'd think that the windows and mac versions would have equivalent features. The ability to execute a spin-off transaction in Quicken Mac, especially after 2 years of Quicken being notified of the issue, needs to be quickly resolved by Quicken.
  • vzts4q
    vzts4q Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @PMOb said:
    > I have the same situation with the spin-off of AT&T. With all the money Quicken makes on their applications; you'd think that the windows and mac versions would have equivalent features. The ability to execute a spin-off transaction in Quicken Mac, especially after 2 years of Quicken being notified of the issue, needs to be quickly resolved by Quicken.

I have been using Quicken since the DOS days. Just found out today that the Mac version does not support spin offs. The download Fidelity added the Warner Brothers shares from the Spinoff from AT&T but I have no idea if fidelity will correctly allocate the cost basis if I sell AT&T or Warner Brothers. I have been in AT&T since the the early 80's with it in dividend reinvestment all that time so it's more than I care to figure out manually.
  • jz
    jz Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    jacobs said:
    Anyone who wants to see this feature implemented, your votes matter; higher vote counts can help push feature requests higher on the developers' to-do list. If you haven't already voted in this thread, please jump to the top of the first page of the thread, scroll down a little until you see the yellow box, and click the dark gray arrow under the vote counter. (If the arrow is light gray, you've already voted.) 
    Thanks for instructions on how to vote. I've wanted this enhancement for years, but never realized I could vote
  • Garyr069
    Garyr069 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Another vote for adding spinoff to quicken for Mac. Also quicken for Mac should be able to account for mutual funds the same way they do for the windows version.
  • Debug400
    Debug400 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I just installed the April 2022 update which included for Investments:

Investments
    NEW You can drag and drop to rearrange investment dashboard cards to create a customized view of your investments.
    NEW You can now drill down into the pie charts in your investment dashboard to see more detailed information about asset class and security allocations.
    NEW In Simple Tracking investing accounts, you can now manually update your share balance to help track your historical holdings more accurately.
    IMPROVED We added the ability to calculate investment transactions based on share count and share price for all “Reinvest” transaction types, such as Reinvest Dividend.
    IMPROVED You can now update share prices directly from the Dashboard and Portfolio views. This is especially handy if you have securities for which prices cannot presently be downloaded, including cryptocurrencies.
    IMPROVED We relocated the portfolio toolbar so that it now sits above the graph, and added the option to Hide/Show Graph.
    IMPROVED The portfolio toolbar now adapts to smaller window widths.

I do not see a thing in this update that is more useful to me than a spin off transaction would be. I'll probably have to spin several hours putting in fake transaction because of ATT dividend reinvestments.

Add my vote for practical improvements not frivolous ones like these.
  • Tom Bonner
    Tom Bonner Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Debug400 said:
    I just installed the April 2022 update which included for Investments:

Investments
    NEW You can drag and drop to rearrange investment dashboard cards to create a customized view of your investments.
    NEW You can now drill down into the pie charts in your investment dashboard to see more detailed information about asset class and security allocations.
    NEW In Simple Tracking investing accounts, you can now manually update your share balance to help track your historical holdings more accurately.
    IMPROVED We added the ability to calculate investment transactions based on share count and share price for all “Reinvest” transaction types, such as Reinvest Dividend.
    IMPROVED You can now update share prices directly from the Dashboard and Portfolio views. This is especially handy if you have securities for which prices cannot presently be downloaded, including cryptocurrencies.
    IMPROVED We relocated the portfolio toolbar so that it now sits above the graph, and added the option to Hide/Show Graph.
    IMPROVED The portfolio toolbar now adapts to smaller window widths.

I do not see a thing in this update that is more useful to me than a spin off transaction would be. I'll probably have to spin several hours putting in fake transaction because of ATT dividend reinvestments.

Add my vote for practical improvements not frivolous ones like these.
    I agree these are mostly minor cosmetic changes when we need real investment tools that were present in Quicken Mac 2007. It think the only transaction type mentioned in these discussions that wasn't in Q2007 is mutual fund merger (most commonly encountered with Vanguard funds changing between investor and admiral classes?). Most of the portfolio overview features are less detailed than one can get by entering the portfolio on the Morningstar web site. The manual updating of share prices is a little quicker now for thinks like bonds that can't be downloaded.
  • Ramias
    Ramias Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    this would be a very useful feature.
  • Ramias
    Ramias Member ✭✭✭
    Options
  • jz
    jz Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Ramias said:
    Make sure you vote for this.  Go to the very first item and click on the vote button.
  • jz
    jz Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Ramias said:
    Make sure you vote for this.  Go to the very first item and click on the vote button.
  • jz
    jz Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Ramias said:
  • Dr_B
    Dr_B Member ✭✭
    Options
    I was disappointed to learn from this thread that this essential functionality from QMac 2007 still has not been implemented. Spin offs are a big time sink to enter manually from first principles. I'd love to understand why the excellent functionality of QMac 2007 hasn't been retained in the subsequent versions. Perhaps I need to keep my old macbook pro running QMac2007 under a legacy system and export my transaction data from the current version for import into the 15 year-old version.
  • Dr_B
    Dr_B Member ✭✭
    Options
    I was disappointed to learn from this thread that this essential functionality from QMac 2007 still has not been implemented. Spin offs are a big time sink to enter manually from first principles. I'd love to understand why the excellent functionality of QMac 2007 hasn't been retained in the subsequent versions. Perhaps I need to keep my old macbook pro running QMac2007 under a legacy system and export my transaction data from the current version for import into the 15 year-old version.
  • Dr_B
    Dr_B Member ✭✭
    Options
  • Dr_B
    Dr_B Member ✭✭
    Options
  • Dr_B
    Dr_B Member ✭✭
    Options
  • adtwiss
    adtwiss Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone. This is ridiculous that Quicken for Mac 2007 can do this and the current version still can't. Major PITA every time this happens.
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Another year still no sign. Some of the basic features missing from QM 2022 that were in 2007 is a mystery to me. I understood the problems of upgrading the program back in 2016 but basic functionality should have been added already. Every time these issues come up it is a huge time sink to try and jury rig a solution.