Why is "Price Day Change" field blank, but "Day Gain/Loss" shows gain.

Justin Damerell
Justin Damerell Member ✭✭
edited October 2022 in Investing (Windows)
See question text. Today is 6/20/2019. Stock symbols involved are COP, KO, MRK, WMT.

Best Answers

• Justin Damerell
    Answer ✓
    Jim - That seems to work. I spent about an hour chatting with the support line last week and they didn't come up with a fix. I do think there is a bug in the code somewhere. When I update, the "clock" symbol goes away and the "Day Gain / Loss" field updates correctly. It is just the Price Day Change that is sometimes blank and it seems to be associated with symbols I have recently added.
  • Justin Damerell
    Answer ✓
    Interestingly when you set the date back, that date does not have to have values. e.g. I updated the file today, Monday, and then setting the date to Sunday, and then back to Monday causes the list to be corrected. So the theory about needing to do something to cause the refresh seems to be correct. I hope the Support Team reads these entries and will find and fix the problem soon.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is because the "Price Day Change" data comes from Quicken's quote provider and they have not provided that data. Day Gain/Loss is computed by Quicken.

See this discussion
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20009685#Comment_20009685
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Justin Damerell
    Jim you may be correct, but I find it difficult to understand why common symbols like KO, COP, MRK, and WMT would not be reported. I don't remember this problem before the latest Quicken update was applied. In any event it should get fixed wherever the problem is occurring. I am running R19.44 on W/10 at current release and fix level.
  • Jim_Harman
    The Price Day Change data for these securities is working for me.

If you go to Investing > Portfolio and select the Quotes view, 

-- is there a little clock next to the price for these securites? That would indicate that those quotes have not been downloaded today.

-- Is the Price day change entry blank for them?
  • Justin Damerell
    Jim,

There is no clock symbol on the problem lines.
    The Price Day Change field is blank.
    The Day Gain/Loss shows the correct amount.

In the Security Detail > Price History table, I have the following values, which looks like the price data has been downloaded correctly.

Stock 6/19 Price 6/20 Price
    KO 51.12 51.66
    COP 59.65 60.70
    MRK 85.35 84.60
    PAYX 87.14 87.56
    WMT 109.62 110.32

When I tried to reply directly to you, the server rejected the message.

Bruce
  • Jim_Harman
    It is possible that the quote provider supplied the current price for the price history table but for some reason did not provide the Price Day Change.

As I said, the data was there for those securities when I checked around noon today. Did you try downloading the quotes again?

If you want to get into the weeds, there is a file buried in the Quicken directory where you can see the raw quote data.

• Justin Damerell
    Just applied the 19.52 update this morning, still no change in Investment Display.
    Please send me the file name you mentioned above.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited June 2019
    Part of the quote data is in
    \ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\<your data file name>\quotes.var

If you have renamed your data file at some point, <your data file name> may be the original file name and not the current name. In my case it is Quicken's default name QDATA.

The timestamp for quotes.var should match when you last downloaded quotes. Make a copy of the file so you won't mess it up by mistake, then open it with a text editor.

For example here is the start of current data for IBM

qwin.quotes.IBM.symbol 3 IBM
    .last 8 138.8100
    .time 10 1561132335
    .time.str 5 11:52
    .change 7 -0.0400
    .pct_change 7 -0.0288
    .volume 7 1877046
    .avg_volume 9 2683796.1

I think the .change value is the difference between yesterday's close and today's open. This data does not match what Quicken shows for the current price, 138.7357, or the Price Day Change, -.1143 

The semi-realtime quote data must be someplace else, if it is in a file at all. [Edit - this may be incorrect - see below]

• Jim_Harman
    Also I noticed that the Price Day Change is blank if the quote data is not current, i.e. quotes have not been downloaded today.

If the Price Day Change is blank, check the quote update date and time at the bottom of the Investing > Portfolio screen to be sure it is current.
  • Jim_Harman
    I may be mistaken about the latest quote data not being in the quotes.var file.

There are several places in Quicken to initiate a quote download, and one possibility is that depending on how you update the quotes, the latest data may not be flowing immediately to all the places in Quicken where the quote data is displayed.

It appears that if you click on Download Quotes at the bottom of the Security Detail view for one of your problem securities, the current quote data does flow to that view and also to quotes.var and the Investing > Portfolio views.

Generally exiting and restarting Quicken causes everything to refresh, so if you see the blank Price Day Change when you have updated quotes after the market has opened, you might try an exit and restart to see if that resolves the issue.
  • Jim_Harman
    Also discussed here, esp. @sbender47@  s comment of June 13
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20009685#Comment_20009685

supporting the theory that the quote data is not always updated in the Investing > Portfolio views until you do something that forces a refresh.
  • Justin Damerell
    I did not pursue the file info above. My security list contains 339 unique symbols, of which I have 57 specified to download prices. The symbols I have trouble with were recently added to the file. In all cases, the price updates as evidenced by the Day Gain/Loss field changing, but the Price Day/Change value is blank. If I go into one of the failing issues, and download the price, the portfolio line will be populated, but another symbol will blank out. It seems to imply the loop that scans is somehow limited by some artificial value. I think I will post it as a problem to support.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited July 2019
    I experimented with this some more with a test file that has just a few securities and did not see any problems. I think a key piece of information here will be to look at the quotes.var file and see if the missing information is present or not. You will need to use WordPad or a text editor that handles unix-style line breaks, not NotePad.

If the info is there, the problem is with Quicken. If it is missing, the problem is with the quote provider.
  • Justin Damerell
    Answer ✓
    Jim - That seems to work. I spent about an hour chatting with the support line last week and they didn't come up with a fix. I do think there is a bug in the code somewhere. When I update, the "clock" symbol goes away and the "Day Gain / Loss" field updates correctly. It is just the Price Day Change that is sometimes blank and it seems to be associated with symbols I have recently added.
  • Justin Damerell
    Answer ✓
    Interestingly when you set the date back, that date does not have to have values. e.g. I updated the file today, Monday, and then setting the date to Sunday, and then back to Monday causes the list to be corrected. So the theory about needing to do something to cause the refresh seems to be correct. I hope the Support Team reads these entries and will find and fix the problem soon.
  • Justin Damerell
    Quicken for Windows - problem with portfolio update. Just upgraded to 20.15 and problem is still there.
  • I have the same problem. All quotes except one (NZF) show updated Price Day Change. This began after update to R20.15. I can make the change appear by right clicking on NZF and then Add to watch list even though NZF is already on the security list with download quotes and watch list checked. Quicken you have a problem. Fix it along with the Inventory value update to Quicken.
  • Jim_Harman
    @geraldharker1201

Have you tried the method described above in this discussion, changing to the previous date and back? Does that make the Price day change appear? If so this is a known problem and quicken is supposedly working on a solution.
  • Changing the date does make the value appear and remains when changing back to current date. However, value disappears again when updating quotes. There was no problem with this screen before update to R20.15
  • When are you going to fix this Quicken? Running V R22.12, Build 27.1.22.12. It is a very annoying problem. I reported this problem in June.
  • BLWILKS
    BLWILKS Member
    trying to answer this on this stupid board.

Had the same problem recently after windows update. Found out windows set my time 9 hours ahead to Hong Kong time. Date seemed OK but time was ahead to the next days data that did not exist yet. Reset it manually and Quicken change data worked well.

Thanks Microshaft!
  • Justin Damerell
    Well, I don't have that problem. The clock is correct. This has been problem for about a year. It seems to be the last stock that I added. I think the screen is just not refreshed correctly, as the correct information has been downloaded.
  • This refresh problem has been active for well over a year. I submitted to developers, said they would fix it, still not fixed. (8/26/2020)
  • mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    I've seen this problem fairly often. Sometimes just clicking back to the previous day's quotes fixes the problem. Sometimes I have to go back more than one day. On rare occasions, I need to make a change to one of the previous day's quotes (which I then immediately revert) to cause the display to correct itself. Its a display refresh problem, not a data problem. What causes it to happen I can't say.
  • The cause of the problem is a BUG! It needs to get fixed.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Justin Damerell

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue although I apologize that you have been experiencing this trouble for quite some time.

Currently, I am unable to create this issue, I apologize.

I would recommend navigating to Help > Report a Problem to report this issue.

This report will not receive a response, however, it will help the investigation of this issue.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • jdressel
    jdressel Member ✭✭
    I'm having the same problem where there is a value in the "Day Gain/Loss" but the "Price Day Change" is blank for some securities on some dates. It doesn't seem to matter what security type, ie. stock, bond, CD, option, ... If I change the value of ANY price, it doesn't matter which security, it causes the whole portfolio to update and it fixes the missing values in the "Price Day Change". Also, as previously mentioned in this thread, changing dates and returning to the current date seems to cause the portfolio update.

I contacted Chat support and, once I convinced the support person that there was a problem by sending screen shots of what was wrong, we went through all the normal fixes, including "Super Validation". None of that helped solve the problem.
  • Well, we have a number of people with the problem and we have all talked to support. Now the question is: When are they going to fix it?
  • jdressel
    jdressel Member ✭✭
    > @Justin Damerell said:
    > Well, we have a number of people with the problem and we have all talked to support. Now the question is: When are they going to fix it?

I won't hold my breath. I was promised a fix years ago to an acknowledged problem with the way Quicken uploads and posts closing transactions for calls that had expired. Still waiting......
  • jdressel
    jdressel Member ✭✭
    > @Quicken_Tyka said:
    > Hello @Justin Damerell
    >
    > Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue although I apologize that you have been experiencing this trouble for quite some time.
    >
    > Currently, I am unable to create this issue, I apologize.
    >
    > (Image)
    >
    >
    > I would recommend navigating to Help > Report a Problem to report this issue.
    >
    > This report will not receive a response, however, it will help the investigation of this issue.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > -Quicken Tyka

The image (attached below) that you included in your post of August 27 where you say "I am unable to create this issue" shows a similar, yet different problem. How can each of your securities show 0 for the "Day Gain/Loss" yet the "Price Day Change" has a value other than "0" for each of the securities? Also, somehow all of your 7 securities show a 0 for the "Day Gain/Loss" while the account overall, the sum of those 7 securities, shows a "Day Gain/Loss" loss of $16.87. Your own example proves that there is a problem with this report.
This discussion has been closed.