Linked cash balance and quicken cash bal in holding is different in Fidelity

Cash shown in Holdings page is -$355. The linked cah balance in the account status is 65.34. If I try to correct the holding bal I get the following message: says I "can't reconcile or update bal of a cma linked investment because cash bal is always zero.? Says I need to correct the linked account but the linked account is correct. Whats's wrong is what shows up in the holding page of quickken as cash below the other investments. Other accounts let you correct the cash balance. Fidelity doesn't??
thoght I could just add cash to the account but it won't just let me add cash??

Best Answer

Answers

• JerryC
    JerryC Member ✭✭
    Have you tried to correct the linked account? What you're describing is the way my Fidelity Brokerage account works. If any balances are to be corrected I reconcile the linked account. Are you looking at the right account? if you click on the linked cash balance amount on the holding screen it will take you to the account that it's pulling it's data from. this is just to verify it's not pointing to some obscure account.
  • marrdrm1971
    marrdrm1971 Member ✭✭
    Hi Jerry
    The linked account is correct. It's the cash value shown on the "holdings" that is wrong which makes the value of the account wrong. Does that make any sense. I can't figure out where quicken is getting the number???
  • marrdrm1971
    marrdrm1971 Member ✭✭
    Hi Sherlock and Jerry
    When this first happened I called Fidelity and their agent changed my account in Quicken to "show cash in checking account." This is a choice when you select edit/delete account. I turned this back off and now I can correct the cash balance . I guess when he turned it on it linked the account.

I noticed now that I have 37 transactions in placeholder transactions. Not sure how that has happened. They are all from Oct 20, 2004. Yikes
    I don't want to try to figure that out since it's from 15 years ago.
    Any suggestions how to handle. Or just leave it alone. Why all of a sudden they appear-??????
    Thanks
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Sherlock and Jerry
    When this first happened I called Fidelity and their agent changed my account in Quicken to "show cash in checking account." This is a choice when you select edit/delete account. I turned this back off and now I can correct the cash balance . I guess when he turned it on it linked the account.

I noticed now that I have 37 transactions in placeholder transactions. Not sure how that has happened. They are all from Oct 20, 2004. Yikes
    I don't want to try to figure that out since it's from 15 years ago.
    Any suggestions how to handle. Or just leave it alone. Why all of a sudden they appear-??????
    Thanks
    If they're from 2004, they didn't suddenly appear.  My preference is to never have placeholders in my investment accounts because I want to be able to track my investment gains and returns.  I suggest you review the FAQ again.
  • marrdrm1971
    marrdrm1971 Member ✭✭
    I have been using Quicken since they went public in the 80s or 90s. I have no idea why 37 transactions from Oct 20th, 2004 all of a sudden showed up but I assure you they just showed up because I am a super user myself.
    I'm not going to spend any more time on this it's one of those mysteries of Technology. I'm an engineer myself and I am not going to spend time figuring out what happened 15 years ago on October 20th.
    I was expecting an answer of close that account and open a new one and get the last two years of data from fidelity.
    That's okay have a nice day-- over and out.
This discussion has been closed.