How can the check / debit total in the reconciliation screen be incorrect.

The cleared check / debit total in the reconciliation screen is incorrect. It is understated by $50. Tested several times by adding manually. The reconciliation is off by the same amount.

Best Answer

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you double checked the As-Of date for the reconciliation?  Have you checked the date of the transaction against that As-Of?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• jfxm
    jfxm Member ✭✭
    Do you mean the statement "as-of" date that is being reconciled to? You can pick an "as of" date if you are running a reconciliation report but the statement date is used when you are performing the reconciliation. There are no inconsistencies between the transactions marked as cleared and the statement reconciliation date.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assuming that you're using a paper statement to reconcile to, it would be the Thru or As-of date on that statement.  They and "statement date" are all the same thing.
    BUT what matters is the "Ending statement date" (on the Reconcile Details input dialog) and it's relation to the previous dates (which are all the same thing) that matters

• jfxm
    jfxm Member ✭✭
    Based on the prior thread I'll try unclearing all check / debit transactions and manually making the cleared item. Was just trying to avoid this because of the number of transactions involved. You would think that software that has been around since the mid 80's and who's primary purpose is to manage a bank account would have all reconciliation bugs worked out.
  • jfxm
    jfxm Member ✭✭
    Tried unclearing and clearing all checks and debits. Even though there were no cleared checks or debits in the reconciliation screen, the total cleared checks was a negative amount, same as the reconciliation difference.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words …
    Can you please capture one or more images of the Reconcile dialogs showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and up) can be used to capture a partial screen image and save it to a file.  Microsoft Paint can be used to annotate the image.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots
    To take a screenshot in Mac please see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361
    Please create image files of type PNG, JPG or GIF only.
    To attach the image here, start composing your reply in the "Type your comment" box at the bottom of this webpage. At the top of the text entry window you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I S
    Click the "Attach image" icon (the one that looks like a tiny landscape with mountain and sun). It will allow you to select and upload the captured image file(s) from your computer. The captured image(s) will be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.

Are you reconciling a Checking account or a Credit Card account?
    Is it possible that a previously reconciled transaction has been changed or deleted?
    Does the indicated "Prior Balance" in the Reconcile dialog still match last month's Statement Ending Balance or is it off by those $50?
  • jfxm
    jfxm Member ✭✭
    Too late now. After the last fix didn't work I capitulated and just let Quicken make an adjustment and figured I see what happened next month. Odd thing is that after the adjustment was made I went to the transaction to add a memo and found another transaction in the same amount. It was dated within the month I was trying to reconcile (June) and should have been marked with "R" when I finished the reconciliation as it was one of the transactions marked cleared. Thanks to all suggestions and help anyway. I'll see what happens next month.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    SO,  was that Adjustment still  needed?  Because,  they're NEVER suggested/recommended  by the SuperUsers.

• jfxm
    jfxm Member ✭✭
    It was after the reconciliation adjustment was made that I discovered the transaction that should have been marked as reconciled but was not.
  • jfxm
    jfxm Member ✭✭
    I did that but I'll wait to see if it messes up this months reconciliation. Sometime in the past I noticed that deleting a reconciled transaction affects the next reconciliation. I usually try to do an edit instead.
  • jfxm
    jfxm Member ✭✭
    Update: The reconciliation for July went fine. Never figured out why the debit total in the reconciliation box was incorrect. It was somehow not being included in the total for the reconciliation box inspite of being checked as being cleared. Deleting the $50 reconciliation auto difference adjustment and then manually marking the invisible real actual $50 transaction as cleared fixed the problem and did not affect the next month opening balance.
This discussion has been closed.