Customized Budget Reports exclude income and loans

If I use the default "Current Budget" report, I can see my income and loans as items on the budget. I want to create a custom report that excludes certain categories, but when I click the customize button and remove a category, the income and loans also disappear from the report. Is there a setting to get them to stay on the report after it is customized?

Comments

• Valderi
    Valderi Member ✭✭✭✭
    You said: "I want to create a custom report that excludes certain categories". I suggest to go to "planning tab" and uncheck categories you want to exclude or to budget (at the bottom left "Select categories to budget". In the next window, you can exclude or include categories you want.
  • muratore
    muratore Member ✭✭
    I don't want to create a different budget. I want to analyze certain categories in my existing budget on a regular basis. As you can create customized reports for this, that's what I'm trying to do. I am able to do that, but, for some reason, my income and loans won't show up on the customized report.

> @Valderi said:
    > You said: "I want to create a custom report that excludes certain categories". I suggest to go to "planning tab" and uncheck categories you want to exclude or to budget (at the bottom left "Select categories to budget". In the next window, you can exclude or include categories you want.
  • Valderi
    Valderi Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Many reasons can explain why your income and loans don't show up:

1. Open the report you want to customize
    2. Click on "customize report" (up-right)
    Now let's see… "Display" tab
    3.Check "Organization"; is it "Income & expense" 
    4. Then go to "Accounts" tab and check or uncheck the accounts you want to keep. Have a look at "show hidden accounts", just in case.
    5. Same thing with "Categories" tab
    6. Then (and maybe that's where you have to look) go to the "Advance" Tab
    a. Verify if you want to keep or exclude "transferred transactions" or something else
    b. Verify "Categories" at the bottom: you have 3 important choices: Try first "Include all" to see if your accounts are showing.
    Good Luck. Give me feedback.

(edited for readability)
  • muratore
    muratore Member ✭✭
    When I opened Quicken this morning, it installed a software update. Now the report I was using before (Spending -> Current Budget) does not include Income or loans.

Previously, there were 3 sections to the Current Budget report:
    - Paychecks
    - Personal Expenses
    - Detailed Loan Payments

Now, there is only "Expenses."

Nonetheless, I checked all the tabs that you indicated in the Customize dialog box. The only one that makes a difference is:

> 6. Then (and maybe that's where you have to look) go to the "Advance Tab"
    > b. Verify "Categories" at the bottom: you have 3 important choices: Try first "Include all" to see if your accounts are showing.

INCOME - Although I now see the Income -> Wages -> Gross Pay and Expense -> Tax categories, I am not getting the single budget item of net pay from my employer. Previously, under the Paychecks section, instead of a category heading, it showed the payee, and the amounts were net pay.

LOANS - Although I can see Expense -> Loans -> Mortgage Int, all of the TO <loan> actual and budget amounts are zero and I don't see either the principle or total loan payments. Previously, under the Detailed Loan Payments section, there was no "TO" before <loan>, and the amounts were the total principle + interest payment. I have 3 loans, and this is showing up for 1 loan (the newest one where no payments have yet been made), but the other 2 are not showing up as before and I can't find their payments.

In conclusion, this is much less helpful than the old report, and following your instructions does not get me back to what I saw before.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like you have Category Groups called "Paychecks" "Personal Expenses" and "Detailed Loan Payments." If you go to Tools > Category List you will see these in the Group column. If the Group column is not displayed, click the gear at the right of the column headings and select it.

If you have these groups and you want your budget report organized by group, open the report, click on the gear to customize it, and on the Display tab next to Organization pick Category groups.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • muratore
    muratore Member ✭✭
    Those Category Groups do not exist. I do not have any custom category groups. I have what came with Quicken: Personal Income, Business Income, Personal Expenses, Business Expenses, Transfers.

The "Paycheck" part is a feature built into Quicken that appeared 5 or so years ago. I used to enter Net Wages, but Quicken now lets me enter in a Paycheck with the Gross Wages and all of the tax items. It operates like a split transaction, but it's a specific pop-up window for paychecks.

When I select ALL transactions and ALL categories (whether in the budget or not), I can not find anything matching my Net Salary or Loan payments, regardless of the group. Furthermore, as I stated in my OP, these would appear automatically in the built-in "Current Budget" report, but disappear as soon as I customized it. As of the latest update last week, they don't even appear in the "Current Budget" report.

It's not much of a budget if I can't track my income or loan payments.

> @Jim_Harman said:
    > It sounds like you have Category Groups called "Paychecks" "Personal Expenses" and "Detailed Loan Payments." If you go to Tools > Category List you will see these in the Group column. If the Group column is not displayed, click the gear at the right of the column headings and select it.
    >
    > If you have these groups and you want your budget report organized by group, open the report, click on the gear to customize it, and on the Display tab next to Organization pick Category groups.
This discussion has been closed.